Tuesday, October 5, 2010

24 and counting!

Oh a life year..

In my epidemiology class we're talking about different measurements regarding studies using incremental units. Most typically, a 'unit' is a death (and or some form of attrition). From here, we calculate the ever touchy potential life years lost.

What is a life year?

Can I even go there? On my birthday I can! In the last year-
I've seen the leaves change in one of the most beautiful peninsulas on this earth.
I've watched countless sunsets in both the Eastern and Western hemispheres.
I've swam in the Adriatic, paddled through Lake Michigan, and sailed through Greek Isles.
I've seen the ancient Acropolis, the poetic Eiffel Tower, the sacred Basilica.
I've told the people closest to me how much I love them, and felt the love in return.
I've cried from sadness and disappointment, and smiled in happiness and reflection.
I've laughed until it hurt, and ran until it didn't.
I've moved to a new city, made new friends, and studied new things.
I've tried harder, lost more, gained more, gave more, had less, and hoped more than I ever have.
I've been blessed on a daily basis to have a truly amazing life.


One life year.. is priceless.

So here's to rejoicing that every birthday may mark a journey of newness & oldness, and a constant reminder of how lucky I (we) truly are.

2 comments:

  1. love it! so true! Happy bday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto for me on the final two paragraphs. Love you Madeline. Aunt Sarah

    ReplyDelete