Friday, January 21, 2011

Detroit, if you dare

I find sincere fascination in two things that are in some instances independent of one another; architecture and abandonment. Before you start to question why you're reading a deranged person's blog, let me put the abandonment into context. I'm really alluding to the story behind the abandonment. The details, the life, the words in the story leading up to that point. Whether romantic, or sad, or heroic, or brilliant, so many stories may have a common ending... but it isn't in the ending. It isn't in the abandonment. Its in everything that precedes it.

Pair abandonment with architecture and I couldn't find it more riveting. On the way to my cottage on an old high way there stands a beautiful red house with a piece of concrete above it saying, '1903'. I begged and pleaded with my mother to stop every.single.car.ride. to the cottage. And one day we stopped. We were going to go in! I was sure that behind all of the boarded up windows there was a life, perfectly intact, with a smattering of dust waiting to be blown away. Just as we reached the the front walkway, my mom halted the expedition, and decided it wasn't safe, 'We could fall through the floor!'. So the house still stands. And my love for architectural abandonment persists.

When this beauty popped up on my reader...it, well.. see for yourself. The artist is exceptional...
http://www.marchandmeffre.com/detroit/index.html

MAGNIFIQUE!

And to add some international flare, check out the story behind Kayakoy, Turkey...

No comments:

Post a Comment