Friday, October 16, 2009

It's really..... over?

I cannot believe it. This day wasn't suppose to come. In my mind I comprehended the end of my 6 months of waitressing as some sort of abstract thought. Some Einstein calculus equation, only to be truly grasped by the few and far between. I forget that time is always illusive, and you bat your eyelash, and BOOM, you're in the present that was always 'the future'.

As my countdown begins, I must admit it is bittersweet. I have always looked forward to this day with such eager anticipation. Finally, I will no longer be taking orders, cleaning spills, or putting other's food in a to go box. I will be learning, preparing, researching.. getting ready for this new chapter of my life. Setting sail to new land, being on the other side of the table and the town.

However, I am coming to realize that (like everything in life) it isn't as I would've expected. As this chapter ends, and I feel a new one beginning, a large part of me is hanging on with a bit of sadness. I think it's only fair to recognize it all for what it's worth. I will miss the joy of serving genuinely nice people, or sharing experiences and stories with people I would've never otherwise spoken to. Thank you 'serving', as I am only now able to understand how much you learn about yourself through others. This summer I have been humbled, insulted, complimented, laughed so hard I cried, and cried so much I laughed.

While the 48 hr. countdown has begun, it hasn't been without a price. I know that this unique and small chapter is just that. Even if I were to return next year, it wouldn't be the same... and that is both exciting and sad, all at once.

It's one of those moments where you know you can't stay... but you're just not ready to leave. I have a feeling that when everyone says ' ohhhhhh.. your young 20's, what an exciting period, so much change..' they have to be speaking to moments like these. So.. I guess that I'm right smack dab in the middle of all that change, and there really is only one thing to do, (as spoken by the Counting Crows)............ hold on to these moments as they pass.


No comments:

Post a Comment