Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A New Beginning



What do you do when you're 23 years old? Hopefully a lot of really exciting things! Here's what the first morning of my 23rd year consisted of:
Sunrise
6:53 a.m.
Erik and I woke up at 5:45, and after sleeping for only 5 hours, we weren't sure the sunrise sounded like such a good idea. It was FREEZING in our room.. the kind of cold where your toes hit the floor and go riiiiiiiiiiight back into your bed. Needless to say, we decided to get up anyway. It was still dark out, and we were fortunate enough to have the harvest moon greet us!


Yes, that's right folks. The brightest moon of the entire year fell the night before my birthday. It was unreal, the moon was so luminous that it almost appeared near day. On our way over, the sky was lighting up, and Erik wrote me a little birthday note in the window!


We had to cross the Peninsula to watch the sunrise, and were a little late. Nothing new for Erik and myself, as we're late to EVERYTHING. I'm hoping it's a seasonal thing, because I swear it is a new found habit!


Wait for it......


There she is!!!!!!!

The sunrise was beautiful. I am normally use to watching the sunset, and am quite spoiled by it. I have had the privilege to watch the sunset in Door County more times than I can remember.

Few times, all of which were by default, have I watched the sunrise. I can now officially say that the sunrise holds a candle to the sunset, and maybe even outdoes it. The feeling behind a sunrise is entirely different than a sunset. A sunset is a culmination of sorts..

...Whereas the sunrise.. it just expels this bounty of opportunity. I know it sounds absolutely absurd, but it's so true. The sunrise feels like a beginning... the perfect way to start a 23 year on this planet.

Doughnuts
7:45 a.m.
After we watched the sunrise, we were both so tired. So, when you're that tired there is only one thing to do. Eat doughnuts. We went to a bakery, and got a sticky bun and a vanilla long john. We like to 'share' which entails each of us getting EXACTLY 50% of whatever the shared object is. This ensures no fights, and no racing to eat faster (hahah, clearly a tried and true rule). The sticky bun was eaten with breakfast around 11 a.m. and the long john was demolished in .31 seconds.

Sleep
8:30 a.m.
Oh hey, I'm old now, and need my rest to save my energy.


No comments:

Post a Comment