November 23, 2009
Today was a wild one. We had finished everything we wanted to accomplish in the city of Madrid, and so when we woke up this morning we just kind of looked at each other. Without an agenda, we set off for a day we hoped would bring another new adventure. Taking our time, we went through all of the winding streets and alley ways, capturing the sunlight with our cameras. There is so much going on here at all times, that every day has a different feel. One day you think you ‘get’ an area, recognize the general demographic that calls this district home. The next day you wake up, and it’s no longer young adults smoking cigarettes and gluing posters to subway stops, but it is young mothers with their children; juggling fruit, a leash, and a baby on the hip.
That’s the best part. The little things that make traveling, traveling. You prepare yourself for the big things. You almost expect them. Maybe even try to anticipate them. I grasped and planned for navigating through tall narrow streets, hearing languages that are not my own, and a certain feeling of peering in on a life as new to me as the coming moment. And then there are those little things, the things that give you the ‘wow’. The little subtleties that have such a big impact; the tilt of the sun in the sky at five o’clock, how everyone owns a dog that is off leash, the graffiti that the city (nearly) wholeheartedly embraces, and of course, common everyday things- like birds.
Yes, even the birds wow me. Eventually, we were yet again in front of Retiro park. We entered, hoping for just as good of a time as the first. An undiscovered trail revealed itself, and led us to a shrubbery and pillar garden that was unreal. As we entered we were both of course stunned (surprise) by it’s beauty. I was just bringing my camera to my eye, when Erik pulled HARD on my sleeve, and scream whispered MADELINE… LOOOOOK, and nodded to our left.
And there in front of my naked, real life eye was a peacock. Here’s my first thought: HOLY MOTHER OF GOD AN ESCAPED PEACOCK. Now a rational interjection would be, escaped from where, Madeline? Yet at this moment, we need not be rational. There is a peacock ALIVE and in front of me.
So I did what any normal, zoo fee paying citizen would do. I slow motion fumbled for my camera and one two stepped it toward that bird. I’d be darned if I left Madrid without a picture of Mr. Zoo escapee himself. I nearly threw my purse at Erik, and sped walk (I prefer to say tred lightly, although I know Erik would disagree) toward this magnificent creature. Much to my dismay, the faster I moved, the faster he moved. I had the adrenaline rush of the trip going. In the past, I’ve paid good MONEY to see you bird, and you’ve found refuge HERE?! My vision is becoming a giant tunnel of beautiful aqua marine eyes… I was so entranced with the splendor of this creature that what I saw next nearly sent me face first into the concrete. Low and behold, another. I presumed of course, HIS BROTHER. YOU BOTH GOT OUT?! I scream whispered ERIK!!!!!!!ERIK!!!! HURRY, THERE’S *2*!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only hoped he would heed my call, because there was not a thing in this world that was going to stop me. The two veered a hard right, and so did I. I was closely in step with the two, and heard Erik right behind.
I had to laugh. This was the most surreal experience ever. I am CHASING a pair of escaped peacocks around a park in Madrid. I glanced back at Erik to get an estimation of how far behind me he was, and when I turned around I could not believe my eyes.
That hard right? A beeline for their den. Or layer. Or whatever you’d like to call it.
These two brothers did not escape from the zoo, but were a natives to this park!!!!!!!!! Hence why the locals were not chasing these birds like they had the winning million dollar lottery ticket attached to their talon. I would like to say that poise found me at this point, but excitement was the only thing on my radar. I even believe I could’ve been squealing. A flock of BEAUTIFUL peacocks at my picture taking disposal. So, when faced with 15 peacocks lounging around their evergreen on the prettiest day of November, what should one do?? Get on your belly and army crawl three feet from their den. Sit there with all the glee of a child on Christmas and take in all of the little things. The little things that make traveling, traveling. Like birds, for instance.
After our chance encounter with these birds, we ate our lunch at a pond. We continued to walk through the park, and decided to take a left when we knew that the way home was right. This left took us into their college area, which was a really neat experience. College areas seem to speak to the college student in all of us. There wasn’t one particular big thing that screamed ‘COLLEGE’, it was just all of those little things. It was the instrument store that was also a cafĂ©. It was the look of the balconies of all the windows. It was the bikes that lined the edges of buildings, the air conditioners that were wedged places you could easily lose a finger. It was all of these things that showed us yet another undiscovered part of Madrid.
After we had our share of nostalgia and appreciation we embarked on our trek back to the hostel. We stopped and at a chocolate churro. Whether it was our hungry stomachs or my love for chocolate, this churro could not have tasted any better.
We eventually went to the grocery store and bought dinner. Getting home, we were both in need for some serious relaxation. The rooftop terrace was the perfect place to split a cold beer and reflect on the day. We looked out on to the sun setting sky, and watched as it hit the tiles of our neighbors before saying it’s farewell. Oh what a day, with a million little things that I did not expect.
Hey Mads!
ReplyDeleteI love your peacock story! Cracks me up. And the whole wandering the streets for days is normal- your stories remind me of the days I spent there! I don't know how much longer you'll be in Madrid (or if you've already done this), but you MUST check out their world famous market- el rastro. you will get lost in it for hours! It is endless with hidden treasures and food and organized by each street.
"According to municipal rules, el Rastro takes place every Sunday and public holiday of the year, from 9 am to 3 pm, in the barrio de Embajadores ('Ambassador’s district') in the Central District of Madrid. The Madrid town council regulates the markets. A maximum of 3500 stalls cover the area from the Plaza de Cascorro, with its statue dedicated to Eloy Gonzalo, who was a Spanish soldier who fought in the Cuban War of Independence in which he distinguished himself and is regarded as a hero, in the north, along the main thoroughfare of Ribera de Curtidores and adjoining streets to Calle Embajadores in the east and the Ronda de Toledo and Plaza del Campillo del Mundo Nuevo in the south.[3]."
Hope all is well! Let me know if you need any tour guide from my old house mom and friends up in Valladolid!
besos y abrazos! Te amo!