Thanksgiving & Segovia
We were still staying at Will’s in Avila for the evening, but he and his roommates had to work during the day. I knew that I wanted to visit Segovia so we decided to make a day trip out of it. We woke early, around 7 a.m. and hopped to it. We thought we could be on time (of course not!) and left the house at 8:00. If we had done ANYTHING different, even say brushed our teeth, we would’ve missed this bus. It was as if we were in a scene from home alone. Erik and I, running through Avila, partially knowing where we’re going, getting up to this bus as the drivers were boarding. Smiling, panting, and completely exhausted we pulled out our best spanglish to please please please let us get on this bus. Once in our seats, I think we were both amazed at what a close counter we truly had.
Once onto the bus, it was another experience that was completely different than anything I could’ve imagined. The bus just stopped, whenever. It took us close to two hours to reach Segovia (roughly 60 miles). We’d pick up an old man here, a young woman there. If they remotely looked like they needed on, down went the breaks. I didn’t mind at all, it was a blast. The bus even went on detours into little towns to pick people up, who I’m assuming were regulars.
Segovia was BEAUTIFUL. BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL. I loved it. For a city that size, I’d say it was my favorite of the three so far. When we arrived, and stepped out of the bus station, my eyes met the biggest, most intricate cathedral I’ve seen so far. It was atop a very large hill, so we began our trek. There was a cobble stone path that winded its way through the cascading hills, all the way to the top. Once we reached the top we took a very narrow step into an alleyway, which was no larger than an arm span. Just like that, we’re back in time. The older part of Segovia has a series of very narrow alley ways, and each one had its own little pastelerria, or café. A few curves, and the veil was lifted. We spilled out into the area where the cathedral was, which also had the city’s main plaza. In the plaza, a market was going on. There were all different kinds of vendors. A vegetable vendor, a fruit vendor, clothing vendors, and anything else you could possibly think of. The interesting part about these clothing vendors was their ‘display’. Which may also mean dumping hordes of clothing onto a table, screaming at the top of their lungs QUE BONITA, y CHAQUETAS 5 euro.. etc. So, of course, for those who looked, there were deals to be discovered. While I was looking for my diamond in the rough , I had a bit harder time than most. Once I opened my mouth and was identified as an American, I didn’t stand a chance. Chica, venga! Or other callings to solicite my purchasing services. I tried my best to zone them out and take it all in, and for the most part, I felt I did just that.
Beofre entering the cathedral, Erik and I wanted/needed some serious joe. We both agreed it was in our mutual interest to go to a café. Venturing into the unknown, we choose a random alley way and were waiting for a café to ‘speak to us’. El Colonial once again presented itself in our lives. This one had some of the same amazing features, yet was at an intersection of small alley ways. We ordered some coffee an AMAZING churro, and sat near the window to take it all in. After getting some necessary fuel, we headed to the cathedral. There are no words. Rarely am I left without words, but I don’t think I spoke for two hours. The sign might as well have said, “NO FOTOS, NO VIDEOS, NO WORDS”. It was the best 3.50 euro I’ve spent. Marble everywhere, ceilings higher than a 15 story apartment building. Alcoves dedicated to different martyrs, Saints, and bishops. In the middle of the cathedral sat an organ. The organ was easily 40 feet tall (I’m probably grossly underestimating it) and beautiful chords cascaded from this center piece, cementing a memory of visual magnitude as well as auditory bliss. The floors were checkered marble, a maroon, a dark green, and a white. Even 650 years later, the whole building looked untouched. The courtyard which was housed adjacent to the cathedral, yet surrounded by buildings attached to the cathedral was magnificent. Rose bushes outlined the pillars, and all of the pebble walk ways led to a well, which was kept perfectly preserved.
After leaving the cathedral, it was official, I LOVED Segovia. The people, the markets, the alley ways, the history.. it was just a ‘match’. You know that feeling when you a enter a city, and you just know? You see something in yourself in the city? This was Segovia for me.
What could make it any better? Oh, how about Roman aqua ducts. These aqua ducts which carried water from the mountains to the town of Segovia over 900 years ago were still perfectly intact. And were MASSIVE. We climbed up many stairs to reach the top and were amazed at the view. History crossroads at ‘junction present day preservation’. They were immaculate and when on as far as the eye could see. They were so well made that they were still used well into the 19th century. How about them apples!!
As we were looking for a post card for my grandma, we saw a huge castle, which underneath said Segovia. I held it up to Erik with a quizzical look on my face. ‘How did we miss this?’ A CASTLE, here?! I glanced at my watch, and we had a little under two hours left in the town I already didn’t want to leave, and we hadn’t even seen its CASTLE.
In some seriously short order we booked it to the outskirts of town. This was the only place you could take advantage of your peripheral, and we spotted it nearly immediately. We broke a sweat getting there, but our eyes were on the prize, which was worth the hustle.
The castle stood square on the bottom. It was built on bedrock, and much of the bottom seemed more fortress than castle. However about half way up, Walt Disney took over. Pointed domes, and pillars with elaborate doors and arched windows. It was exactly what you’d think of when you close your eyes and conjure up castle in your mind. I wish I could’ve pulled my lawn chair out and planted myself here for eternity (or atleast ONE more day!!!).
Our arrival to the train station was timely, and we relished in the fact we weren’t exuding some supernatural energy to make a 1 minute 400 sprint to catch this bus. Once comfortably in our chairs, we fell into a deep slumber before our heads hit the headrest. And I’m talking the drooling, head bobbing kind. If it wasn’t for loud arrival announcements, we probably would’ve ended up on the coast of Spain.
We had a PHENOMENAL thanksgiving.. more details to come!
i aLMOST can't read your blog. because it is making me want to pack my bags this INSTANT and venture off to some foreign country. it really doesn't matter, i might just hop on a plane and see where it takes me. and then i remember that i have a 1 year old. and what a hassle that would be. and of course, pregnant. and i don't know how my doctor would feel about that. but this blog keeps drawing me back in! i'm going to have to have dustin start reading it too. i love your stories, you tel them so well! annnnnddddd..... postcards can be sent to
ReplyDeletelexia, tavish, dustin, and bambino at
5852 war admiral drive
wesley chapel, fl 33544.