Sunday, November 22, 2009

Domingo: dia de la familia

From what I’ve read and witnessed in the Spanish cultures, Domingo (Sunday) is for la familia. Not much is done, nor is much open. While this isn’t ideal for the over eager explorer, I knew that whatever I found would be an authentic experience. So I snooped and prodded a bit and over heard that in Madrid there are flea markets on Sundays. They start in the later morning (like everything else) and go all day.

Check! Yes, of course I’ll invite myself to go. The ‘real folk’ were going to be out in action. This was going to be a true, blue Spanish experience. We arrived at plaza mayor early. If we have learned anything, it’s that it never pays to be early in Madrid. Very little was set up, and I’d already been up for hours, eagerly digesting my corn flakes and waiting to play. Although little was set up, the portion that was really did it for me. I dashed over to the tables to discover what could bring real old-school Madridians out in swarms. And by real old school, I mean the quintessential Sophia Lauren type. The men, you ask? To the nines! Their finest suits and jackets, ties, vests, and even an occasional man adorning cuff links. All paired with their most fabulous accessory- their wives. All of the ladies had on fitted skirts and blouses, as well as the most perfectly tailored matching jackets. The colors of the main articles worn are very solemn; traditional blacks, blues, browns, and grays. Then, WHAM, personality ! Gorgeous ties and scarves of all different colors and patterns. Hair pieces and jewelry that make them all look like queens. All of these Madridian royalties standing over tables looking at (drum roll)……… coins and comic books.

Yes that’s right dames and gents, coins and comic books. I think this made me just as happy, or happier than if they’d been looking at.. oh I don’t know, something exotic. I suppose that ‘one person’s junk is another’s treasure’ is a saying that in some fashion is spoken in every language.

It was around noon, and we had already exhausted what our major ‘event’ for the day was going to be. This turned out to be perfect, because a little idea I had before bed last night had a big effect on our day. I was bumming that I couldn’t purchase some ceramic tiles (beautiful plates and cups as well) from a local pottery store down the street. I’ve really have a lot of appreciation for the intricate tile workings of Madrid, and would love a souvenir or 50 to remember the city by. Then I started thinking, what can I do to create a momento from each city? LIGHT BULB. You know those posters that say “Doors of x” on them with lots of different doors? Well, when I was little I loved -and still do- the “Doors of Ireland” poster. So much so that not only am I going to rip off the idea, I’m going to make a separate window one as well!! At the end of our journey, we’ll have visited 30+ cities. Each door and window with a story to tell! Copying someone else’s idea has never felt so good!!

Step. Look. Conference. Click. A good portion of our day was dedicated to finding the perfect door and window. This may sound kind of corny, but it was a complete blast.

Our tummy’s growled, and halted the course of events. This is when we typically pull out our light lunch (power bar, banana bread, etc.) and eat at whatever plaza we’re near. Today was deliciously different. In the alley of the plaza there was a little restaurant called Casa Rua. Which had CALAMARI SANDWICHES!!!!!! For…. 2.50 EURO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cats, get me in line. I was not disappointed AT ALL. The calamari rings were the size of a good ol’ Wisconsin onion ring, or for those of you who don’t induldge in that way- around the circumference of a baseball! The tentacles were so huge I’m surprised they didn’t stick to the roof of my mouth. They were so fresh it almost pained me! Erik asked me if Calamari had feelings (jab at the vegetarian thing), my only response was… not today, Erik, not today.

We ended our afternoon with a trip to the National Archeological museum. Erik had a conniption, and I had one watching him! Whoa, kid in a candy store! Unharnessed reigns! ERIK IS LET LOOSE. I was admittedly excited too, I’ve never seen EGPYTIAN RUINS or DINO BONES in person. It took us so long to find it, that it made the expression on Erik’s face doubly sad when we were kicked out (3 p.m.) for their closing. No worries, it’s a free museum, and we’ll be heading back!

I wish I could say our nights are filled with splendor and equal adventure. Unfortunately, that would be a large exaggeration. Erik and I are normally so tired from a day full of walking and sightseeing, that the only thing either of us have energy for is a glass of wine, dinner, and bed!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like THE.perfect.day! Wow. The food, the sights, (especially) the door/window seeking and picture snaping! I am seriously living vicariously through you two. **sigh**

    ...what makes me laugh the most is that I still remember my brothers obsession with dinos when he was a mere 3 years old and I was 5. Heaven. ENJOY EJ!

    ReplyDelete