Sunday, November 1, 2009

A favorite coat in a closet full of memories

So, I'll start from the beginning of my week's worth of adventures, which brings me back to last Sunday. I arrived in Eau Claire with this unharnessed anticipation that could probably kill a small animal. I had not seen my two best friends in nearly SIX months. While we had talked frequently throughout the summer, and hadn't really missed a beat in each other's lives, to see them in person was more than I could fathom. I arrived on Sunday, and the next three days were a complete whirlwind.

Nora and I (one of my best friends), went to the Cities for the day. We picked up Lauren, and headed to the Body Exhibition. It was so different than anything I've ever seen. The Body Exhibition is a showcase of human bodies that focuses on different systems and the importance of each in everyday function. It was inspirational, moving, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who doesn't easily 'lose their lunch'. Of course I'm sure you're interested in what my favorite sections were, so allow me to indulge. There was a fetal section, dedicated entirely to different stages of development. The ages ranged from a couple weeks (a literal mass of cells) all the way to birth. I've written about 8 sentences to try and encompass how moving that portion was, but nothing is really working. So maybe.. it was just beyond words. There was also another system-the central and peripheral nervous system. It was DISSECTED (BY HAND!!!!!!!!!) and one of the most intricate and clearly time consuming things I've ever seen. It literally looked like thousands of pieces of floss all stemming (HAHA) from the brain. There was also an exhibit which featured the arteries and veins and blood vessels of the entire body. They solidified the pathways, then chemically removed the rest of the body.. which part is more interesting? I couldn't decide either.

So as you're experiencing this science meets humanity and morals moment- which in my opinion, they did an incredibly classy job of, you do realize that all of these people..... were people. Who did these bones belong to? Who did they hug? And love? Those lungs took deep breaths, and hardy laughs.. All of these people wanted to advance science and the understanding of the human body. It really showed the complexity of the human body and the fragility of human life all at once.


While in Eau Claire I stopped at almost all of my favorite places. Got the best coffee in town from Racy's. Ran on my favorite tried and true route I ran for FOUR YEARS. Went to some of my favorite pubs and restaurants, saw friends so dear to me it was amazing how much time easily passed. Hung out, watched movies, went to the park... you get the jist.

On my last day in Eau Claire I was able to meet with my old bosses from the free clinic for some tea. They were my bosses (and friends) for over 3 years, and hearing their recent accomplishments made me so happy. Free clinics all over the nation are getting tons of exposure due to Dr. Oz's generosity of word of mouth. The Clinic signed up over a 150 for Badger care plus. The new interns are doing wonderfully. Everyone is taking to their positions like ducks to water. I walked through the Clinic and into a time warp. It was 'same same but different'. Everything was just as it was, with a few changes, orbiting and existing without me. As I said goodbye to them, and hugged them tightly, I realized what an incredible thing they have going that will weather any storm.

As I stepped out the door to the Clinic and hopped in the car to my next adventure, I didn't experience one ounce of sadness or regret. This seemed really weird to me, as I braced myself for it. I loved Eau Claire, and flourished there.. I thought this visit would make me long for my home and all of the treasures I'd accumulated there.

But no, nothing. Nothing except the closing of a book. I've heard people talk about closure like it's this near tangible thing. I can now attest that there is such a thing as closure, and it's as real of a feeling as the mouse on your desk...... As all of my friends are about to graduate and take off into this world, I know that they are packing up their memories, and their lives... and Eau Claire will orbit without them.. which hit me in the back of the head as possibly the most liberating feeling of all. There are things out there waiting for me, and Eau Claire is no longer of them.

If anything, it is like your favorite coat from a couple years back. When you wore it- you were fearless. You were fabulous. You could do no wrong. It was worn perfectly, etched to your body. A predictable success. Life fast forwards, and you go back to your parents closet where that coat hangs. Out comes the coat.

And what do you know? It's not quite the same. Not in a bad way, but burnt orange is no longer your favorite color. You no longer favor belly coats. You swear to god you must have grown, because these sleeves use to hit your wrist not your mid-arm................. But it still smells EXACTLY the same. You touch it and remember every freakin' fabulous time you took the world by storm in this coat. So will you ever throw it out, even though it no longer fits?


HEAVENS.NO.

This coat will go unworn once again, yet holds a million little memories. Your favorite coat that no longer fits.. in a closet full of memories.



No comments:

Post a Comment