Friday, November 13, 2009

FANTABULOUS NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even know where to begin this post. Maybe the beginning? Yes, I'll try that!

So, when I was fifteen (which seems ages ago) I needed my first job. My family lives near a place called the St. Norbert Abbey, it's an order of the Norbertines that has many Abbeys around the world (why they chose DePere, I do not know). Religion was not a factor in whether or not I took the job, however, the hours were great and the job seemed ideal to me. Myself, along with around 10 of my closest friends were all employed there throughout high school. Actually, some of my favorite memories of high school were when I was serving priests their dinner.

As I grew older I became very close to the head chef, Connie. She is an incredible woman who I respected from the beginning. She put up with me through my bratty high school years, and I think even found a way to like me:). Anyway, I enjoyed her company so much, that I didn't want to end my employment there come college. So on all college breaks and during some summers, I could come back and help her in the kitchen.

I'd like to include a side note that she is one of my favorite women on this earth. She is one of the strongest and smartest women I have ever met. She provides the advice of a mother, but listens as a friend. This combination has turned out to guide me in more positive paths than I think she'll ever know.


ANYWAY, so work, work, work.. I would work during pinches, be a stand in side cook for funerals. I would frost nearly a 1000 gourmet Christmas cookies. You name it, I did it.
All of this didn't really seem to matter though, between the good company, and the dream that is the Abbey kitchen, I probably would've worked for free!!! Seriously, this kitchen is AMAZING. It's a kitchen that would make Emril or Bobby wipe their mouths of drool. Floor to ceiling windows, stainless steel everywhere, top of the line appliances... One thing after another, after another.

Let's not forget the music. There was music for every mood, classical, gaelic, new age- if there was a mood, there was a song for it. It was almost like I could tell the type of day that was ahead of me simply by hearing the music that was playing when I walked into the kitchen. That with the combination of learning the art of food.. it's the ultimate 'pairing' for any situation, any moment. Oh, we need to make food for a funeral? We'll make this, and listen to this. 'We're celebrating the x year of this occasion?' well, of course, lets make this!

When I told Connie about my traveling, she casually brought up talking to some of the priests about it. She knew that there were Abbeys all around the world, and thought that they might potentially be a great resource. I didn't think much of it, because almost all of my work took place behind the scenes.

Today, was the day that all of that changed. Father David Mcelroy happened to be in the kitchen talking to Connie, where she had mentioned my traveling excursions. Father Mcelroy is from England/and Ireland but is actually French. Through further talking, it seems that the St. Norbert Abbey has connections in: SPAIN, BELGIUM,CZECH,ITALY,HUNGARY, and GERMANY. All of which, might have available rooms for Erik and myself to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For instance, the Abbey in Prague? In the VERY CENTER OF PRAGUE, with the oldest library in the Czech Republic.. Oh, and the Abbey in Rome? In the heart of Rome.. 'And don't worry Maddy, if the Abbey's are full during the time you are staying in these areas, we will absolutely do our best to get you passes through all of the Cathedrals, and libraries, and related buildings of your interest (many buildings in Europe were actually owned by the Diocese prior to the state purchasing them, which allows for certain resources to be available).



This has got to be a joke.


For those of you who have never been in an Abbey they are architectural wonders. From the ceiling heights to the natural lighting, to the mid-evil stone, and circular framed door ways... I cannot express the beauty and history enclosed in those four walls.

So, I can hardly sit still long enough to write this. I'm not even sure if it's a fluid thought. But, now, we may possibly be staying in some of the oldest, most historically rich, and architectually marvelous buildings in all of Europe. Not to mention, the richness of the history behind every piece of stone, grave, and pew put into these places!!!!!!!!

I CAN HARDLY STAND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. UMMMM. This is HUGE news. HUGE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how things seen to work out? Like it was all meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually Aunt Sue said that. this is new to me.

    ReplyDelete