Graduate school has begun!!
I was nervous, as any right minded person should be. I was talking to Erik the night before class, and he looked at me and said, 'Madeline, imagine your worst case scenario. Really think about it, and once you do, you'll see you have nothing to be nervous about.' I thought about it, and in my mind, that seemed true.
Until I realized I didn't actually make the the appropriate 'worst case' scenario. It turns out that in the great expanse of serverdom and internet land, I, yes ME, was not registered as a student to the University. Which meant (!) I had no access to our internet component of class which already had assignments and readings. I had no way of knowing this, because I wasn't on the listserv and wasn't receiving ANY emails from my professors.
First day of class came (9 a.m. to 7 p.m.) and I was ill prepared. Albeit, not my fault, but WHAT A DAY. I thought I was going to rot my stomach clear away. I am a strong believer in first impressions, and while I knew had to throw this problem to the wind, NOTHING was worse than a worst case scenario!
Alternatively, few things are better than going to your second day of class with every word of every sentence read. I glazed through Tuesday smiling ear to ear. Not only was I able to enjoy class, I was able to contribute!!!
I'm slowly learning the 'ins and outs' of school again, and will be tackling friends, a job, and furnishing the digs on a budget! Plenty to do, all I have to do is put one foot in front of another... and hope my e-mail works!
As awful as it sounds, it can only get better from here on! And you've started, congrats!! Good luck! And Jason and I will see you on Sept. 25th in Madison for the Badger game! Woo hoo!
ReplyDelete