Well, either way, I'd like to get it down for the record.
For the record, Bruges is like the prettiest girl you've ever met.... with the worst personality. I don't want to generalize, because I hate how much that ruins perceptions. So, let me rephrase... for the record. Bruges is a beautiful girl that I had the privilege to meet, who was absolutely the most persnickety whoohaa I've ever met.
Well, now that it's out there, allow me to go off the record.
Off the record- we had a pretty rough first experience. We arrived in Bruges on Friday evening around 5 p.m., we found our hostel no problem and were excited to see it appeared to be as quaint as ever. Cute as a button! I lugged my purse, backpack, duffel bag, and 4 jackets right up to the front of this large brick building. RECEPTION IN BACK. Hmm... okay, so we walk around back. Go in through the back door. The 'reception' was an area adjacent to the kitchen. We were 'greeted' if you will by a very unpleasant innkeeper with not a kind thing to say. Here are your keys. Check out is at 11 p.m. Internet? No. Common space? No. Kitchen? No. We'll feed you with ours if you're interested in food.
Okay, ZACH MORRIS PAUSE. I stare at the camera, and say, 'Is she for real?!'... indeed she was. We found out later there were actually two portions. There was the hotel portion, located in a building next door, which was probably accompanied with a pleasant smile and a decent hello.Of course, then there was the ..... oh no, hostel(!) portion. The hostel portion was up a very narrow neatly tucked stairway, and was greeted with a grim faced lady who didn't even set down her cigarette to hand us our pen and credit card receipt.
Our room was decent. I can't complain, it was about as standard as they come. Erik and I have little sleeping bags (Thanks, Terri!) so we don't worry too much about sheets. We also have our own pillows, so as long as the bed is soft and the room is safe, our cares are more about the town than whether we're staying at the Ritz.
Okay.. okay.. we need not get moody. It is not our fault she chose her life path as an eternal pessimist. We get dressed for the weather, definitely a bit chillier here, and head outdoors.
Bruges, like I said, is one of the most beautiful women you've ever met. It is as if someone went to Bruges and thought, I need to make a game... went to their study and emerged a few hours later with Candy Land.
I am absolutely not kidding you. The most picturesque city I have ever seen. Period. Hands down. Straight up city for a princess, or fairy tale... or movie (haha).
Probably 99% of the buildings here are brick. An old brick, full of different reds and rich character. They all have different pyramid type tops, and are decked out in all the garland, bells, and lights you could dream of. There are horses and carriages everywhere, Christmas coffees, and.. (feel the mood).. Justin Timberlake? Yes, Justin Timberlake blaring through their streets loudspeakers.
Ahh, the feeling of the Holidays is in the air.
So, just as we're shaking our bad encounter, and really taking in the city, I can't help but notice. EVERYONE is staring at us. Okay, not everyone.. but enough for me to feel it, which is way more than enough. So, what's wrong with us. Yes, we are not in our finest, so we aren't exactly Bruges material.. I get that, and I was okay with it. I knowingly threw myself into the lions den. I tried my best to dismiss it. We went on with our evening, going between the two Christmas markets...
After a sound nights sleep, we were both up early. Since we had no place to go - literally- we went out to find breakfast. And because we had no place to eat it, we needed to get creative. So we headed to the grocery store assuming they surely would have what we were looking for.
Well, off the record...Everything in this town is a novelty. Novelty this, novelty that, novelty grocery stores. Bruges is under the assumption that everyone who ventures her way has oogles of money, otherwise they would never look at this gingerbread wonderland with any remote interest. Erik and I found ourselves in the grocery store looking for breakfast goods. Due to the fact that our hostel was ill equipped and supplied no counter space, no eating area, and no kitchen, so we were left with something that could be eaten almost as is. We both decided on yogurt and granola, and since we had no place to go back and eat it…. why not eat it in the grocery store at the little table they supplied for such occasions? Perfect idea… kinda.
The people who walked past us stared like we were exotic zoo creatures. NEVER had they EVER seen anyone eating straight out of a package, at a SUPERMARKET. Grab your children, lasso the horses, lock the door! Who let the weird college travelers into town?! Shouldn’t these prices have deterred them?! I’m writing the city council tomorrow!
We received these looks not just at breakfast, but all day long. We weren’t decked out in gucci and prada. I didn’t have a Chanel bag. Erik didn’t have Yves St. Laurent glasses. All was lost. They should have shattered our self-confidence…
HAHAH. Tooooooo late! Please, you don’t think we know that we know how we look? We did indeed dress ourselves this morning. Oh no! Rats, we missed the materialistic backpackers boat!!!
Go on and judge, but note that we are enjoying JUST THE SAME (GASP!!) luxuries. The same hot cocoa, the same sights, the same Belgian waffles. 'So you relish in your furs, and save your looks for people that care. We’ll relish in the money we’ve saved by being slightly practical, and hope Santa goes pound for pound, giving you as much tact and class as you have attitude.'
I know that seemed like a bitter rant, but aside from the slightly to horribly unfriendly people, the city has been pleasant. We were able to see Madonna and Child, taste great coffees, and French fries (their specialty), as well as just enjoy Belgium around the holidays. Best of all, we still enjoyed each other's company. We got to be outcasts together... robbing the city of its prestige.. like Butch Cassidy and the Sun dance kid!
Anyway- our time here has been well spent, and for the record- I'm happy we came.
No comments:
Post a Comment