Saturday, December 26, 2009

So this is Christmas

Our agenda on Christmas changed drastically when the much predicted rain made itself scarce and left. I couldn't believe it, and checked the weather. The ENTIRE day was suppose to be beautiful. A fire was quickly lit up our tooshes, and we scattered to get ready for the day.

The Eiffel tower sounded like our best option. It was one of the only attractions open, and why not spend Christmas on the Eiffel tower?!

Upon arrival, we noticed it was the antfarm we were fearing. People were everywhere, popping out of sewers, jumping out of trees...... well really, it was almost incomprehensible!

There were many lines with hard to read signs about taking elevators vs. the stairs. Erik and I started in the elevator line which we realized was moving at turtle mach. This would not do, not on Christmas. We looked at each other and thought, 'how bad can it be?' Lets take the stairs.

We moved over to the stairs line and anticipated a quicker and more hassle free experience. Luckily, we had an Italian family in front of us, just as excited as we were to be climbing the tower. So excited in fact, that they invited an additional two family members to join them in line. The excitement was mounting at an exponentially level, because at one point this family of three pulled an astonishing 7 members out of its hat. (* I am all for fairness. I will wait in the longest line without so much as a peep. But when you bud, and I didn't give you heads OR tails.... well, that REALLY gets my gourd. ) As Johnny Mathis rang through my head, I decided it was no day to determine fairness and swallowed the key.


The wind was picking up at a sly pace. We were in a line packed as tightly as sardines, so our first step on the stairs was greeted with a WALL of wind. And if I were Bruce Almighty, I would've simply asked it to go away. But because I am not, and because I was overcome with a tinge of panic due to the OPEN AIR STAIRWAY, my focus immediately shifted to the stair directly in front of my eye level. Oh dear, papa noel! What did I sign up for? While I thought that everyone in the "elevator line" was just looking for the 'lazy preference', I slowly realized a few of them could've had height issues, or maybe just didn't want to battle Tsunami winds.

My palms started to sweat (clockwork) and Benecio (see above Italian family) was racing, stumbling, and crashing through this stairway that let you know just how high you were. Benecio?!?... yea, I'm going to have to ask you to stop. NOW... alright, I'm kidding, but if looks could kill, B-dog would've been 8 ft. under. I made it to the first level, without so much as recognition. Our plan, per reading forums, was to get to the second floor, immediately get in line for the 3rd and then work our way down from the top. That is suppose to maximize time on tower and minimize time waiting- I'm sure everyone cares! Anyway, I was sweatin' so we kept trekkin!

The second level? Whooooooole different story! HIGH. HIGH. HIGH!!! Literally, one step at a time. I've never been so happy to reach a landing with solid flooring in my life. I didn't care that I had 2nd degree windburn, or that I couldn't feel my hands.


... This was entirely due to the view. Here you are going up stair, after stair, after stair feeling cold sweat start, a burn in the back of your legs, and a mean heavy breathing that might make others think you'll pass out. When you get to the top, you forget entirely to pat yourself on the back, because the prize is there waiting. A perfect 360 degree perspective of Paris. An all you can eat buffet of gardens, museums, districts, restaurants, rivers, streets.

Of course we immediately made our way to the top. Once up there, the wind was so fierce, most people had trouble standing in place.

Notice I said most, because one man had an agenda of his own. Erik and I were trying to stand in a small alcove that had the least wind possible. We were standing with a young woman who was more than happy to take our picture. She was helping us, and her attention had shifted momentarily from her boyfriend.

All of the sudden, a tape recorder starts. Beautiful 1980's love music soars to my ears... and to her heart. HOLY CAMOLI!!! SHE'S GOING TO GET ENGAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!! Her boyfriend pulls out a pad of paper, with a bunch of different sayings (love actually style). I was equally as engrossed in the moment, so engrossed in fact... I took pictures.

Yes, I know. But there were lots of people around taking pictures, so it wasn't the whole threes a crowd thing.

ANYWAY. The pad of paper had a bunch of different sayings, like "Thank god I found you" "You're my everything"... eventually leading up to "Make me the happiest man in the world" "And Marry me?"

AHHHH.SNAP..SNAP.. SNAP.. I just wanted to scream, SHE SAYS YES! YES!

He got down on one knee, put a necklace around her neck, and they were engaged. The whole top of the Eiffel tower erupted. It was an amazing moment.

After they were done with their special moments, I caught up with him and got his e-mail. I'm going to send him those pictures!!!

All in all, it was well worth the climb. The views were incredible, and it was the best non-family Christmas possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment