Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Real Madrid vs. Barcelona

While Salamanca is a clean, historically rich, and fun city, Erik and I had a feeling we were ready to move on. This was a problem because we were obligated to be there until the next evening. A sort of panic set in. I knew that I’d seen (and enjoyed) everything that this city had to offer me, yet we were kind of ‘stuck’ for lack of a better word. We brainstormed the best we could and set off for the train depot. Upon arrival we finagled, again, with the clerk at the tickets desk and did our best to get a reservation on the next day’s train. We have a Eurrail pass, which I really can’t give an opinion on yet. So far, everything has came out in the wash- Spain’s trains are cheap, and when we do have the chance/need to ride an expensive train or take a long trip we pay reservation fees (3-50 euro depending on time and destination). Of course, we were yet again met with Spanish frustration and indifference. ‘Sorry, there is nothing we can do’. We heard that FOUR TIMES. Finally, we went to the fourth person, who not only set up the reservation for our train earlier, he helped set us up with a new time for our French connection. To be honest, it’s really frustrating, but I know the only thing to do is let it go… plus being treated like a moron REALLY gets old.

Our spirits were lifted that we had a new departure! The train to Bordeaux left at 10 a.m., which meant we’d had an early morning. We had the entire day to ourselves, and decided to go and get a little coffee con second hand smoke. The coffee was delicious. I think that’s my vice here. I can say no to pretty much everything; over hyped tapestry museums, a 9 euro walk to the top of a clock tower.. a million tourists traps. But, if you froth me some Spanish milk and mix it with espresso and water? I’m in the palm of your hand.

I forgot to mention that Salamanca was a lot colder than we had anticipated. Even when the sun was out the wind zipped through our scarves and ‘Chris Kringled’ our noses, ears, and fingertips. Luckily, the light was beautiful and we were able to take pictures of many of the towns proud Cathedrals, libraries and University Institutions.

During the evening we went out with Melissa and Lyvette. I was a little apprehensive but SOO glad I did! We went out to watch Real Madrid vs. Barcelona (futbol), and luckily for us.. this was their ‘superbowl’. All I have to say is… what an experience. Huge big screen t.v’s plastered on walls (with china cabinets underneath), free tapas EVERYWHERE for your dining and germ exchanging pleasure.. don’t kid yourself, of course I indulged. On the walk there, everyone made us chose. You ‘CANNOT’ go to a Madrid vs. Barca game without taking a stance. PIPOSTORUS! So, I did the math.. Barca had better jerseys and a cute coach. Okay, Barcelona it is. Erik chose Madrid for Christiano Ronaldo, and so we were set. We got to this bar early and it was already packed. I’d even venture to say more packed than on a ½ of drinks Saturday night special packed… Everyone was in a giant C shape around the T.V. We stationed ourselves amongst the crowd and got Canas (little beers for 1.50 Euro). They actually were the perfect size..and perfect price. ANYWAY. The enegy in this place is untouchable. I thought that Packer games were something to be reckoned with? WAIT until you get a bunch of passionate Spaniards, chain smoking for survival, shouting at the TOP OF THEIR LUNGS at the T.V., the person next to them, and the ref handing out yellow cards. I understand their love for this sport in a whole new way. The entire TOWN was out. Everyone has an opinion, and if you don’t care to hear it? … oh, they’ll just talk louder. When Barcelona scored I thought the walls were going to come down. People were screaming with anger and delight. One guy smashed a lantern on the ceiling which bobbed furiously for a few minutes. Others hugged, some sang songs… I’m serious; I’ve never seen anything like this. AND this wasn’t even AT the game. It was a very unexpected experience that I know I’ll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment