"Snot dripping from my nose, I turned to Erik and said 'the cold sucks'. He agreed as he was fiercely blowing warm air into his gloves, and shuffling around while waiting for the light at an intersection to change. Wisconsin weather follows us like a man seeking vengeance, and because we're not in the mood for a duel, I think we've had enough. "
This was written after a very cold day in Brussels, but I can offically announce a very happy and welcomed change of plans. That's the best part about traveling for almost 6 and 1/2 months. You're like the wind, you just go.
Our inital plan was to 'weather' the storm (haha!) all the way until March. We would be calling the winter wonderlands of Germany, Czech, Budapest, and Austria home until we happily shoved our boots to the bottom of our packs and headed for Italy around mid-March.
This plan quickly lost its appeal as we realized we could see and do so much less because of the cold. If you can't change it, why fight it? So we stopped, threw in the towel, and added some pizzaz.
We pulled out our tenative itinerary and started to streamline. We will still be stopping in all of those places, we just fine tuned some stays, eliminated two cities that neither of us expressed much interest in, and get this.... cold weather is ceasing FEBRUARY 6th! BOOYAH.
Here is where I am overjoyed to announce we will be spending February in...
CROATIA.
Croatia? Yes, Croatia. I have heard from almost everyone that has been there, as well as people who have not, that Croatia is the most amazing, best kept secret Europe has to offer.
At first I kind of brushed it off.. yup, uhhuh, Croatia. The one next to Bosnia? Oh, okay, thanks for the recommendation.
But the more we thought about it, the better it sounded. National Geographic Adventure calls it: Destination of the Year 2009. Croatia has over 1,200 islands, is home to some of the best beaches in Europe, and has received international ranking for their national parks. Rock climbing, white water rafting, scuba diving, cliff jumping, snorkeling, 'wreck diving' (through shipwrecks), kayaking, and mountain climbing. SIGN ME UP.
I'm sold. Absolutely sold. Oh, and one small tidbit that sealed the deal. The dollar *WILL* I repeat, *WILL* be working in our favor.
So,
Germany 2 weeks
Poland 1 week
Czech 8 days
Budapest 8 days
Austria 1 week
Then.. Adventure Croatia for 4 weeks before heading over to Rome to spend two weeks with Kory & and Lindsay!! Hopefully followed by two weeks with my folks!
So please, if you will, ice this cake and give me 'Croatian must do's' if you've been.
Merci
Hey guys! My college suitemate is over in Austria visiting her boyfriend Mike. He lives and plays basketball there. You should let me know when you think you'll be there. Mike is an amazing guy and very nice, maybe I could hook you up with something when you go?
ReplyDeleteYea! That would be wonderful! Do you know where he is staying? I think we'll be Salzburg and Vienna The last week of Jan/ first week of Feb. Let us know what you find out. Hope your break is going well and that you're surviving grad school!! We miss you and hope you have a great new years! Erik is so excited not to be at Fields this year!
ReplyDelete