Today was freezing! We woke up to 5 inches of snow on the ground, and for a brief moment I thought I was in Wisconsin.We dressed and showered, and got ready to take the day by storm. We picked out our destinations, and were planning on doing Brussels similar to the other cities we’d been. We’d spend a majority of the first day just walking around, getting to know the city.
HA, the chill in Brussels had different plans for us. This couldn’t have been further from the case. We started at their main park, and made it successfully through, fighting off the cold as much as possible. The whole park was made in the shape of a Free Mason’s compass. We’ve been discovering that this symbol has a way of finding itself among many cities main attractions.
One thing about the cold and snow here that is fun to watch is the people’s reaction. Belgium rarely gets this much snow, and rarely does it stick. They consider it a real treat, and especially if it's in time for Christmas. (Really?! You consider this a treat? We can’t escape it to save our lives.) The people are just happy. Groups of grown adults having snowball fights, kids galloping through the snow with no sense of the cold awaiting them. Everyone was just marveling in this winter wonderland. People were taking pictures, and pointing out their favorite statues covered in snow. It was really endearing..I wanted to invite them to hop a plane to Wisconsin. The snow there could impress them, over and over, for 5 consecutive months.
During the small time we were out, I was able to notice a couple of things I thought were pretty funny. First, and this is the truth, they can pee on their monuments and statues. In many countries it’s illegal to pee on or near statues, much less in public. However, Belgium took a different stance, and set up urinels on the side of some of their most classic buildings. They say it’s a place to ‘drain the potatoes’! Hahah!! Secondly, they take waffles very seriously. I thought that their waffles would be comparable to our cheese curds. A really delicious bragging point. In actuality, Belgians take it much more seriously. There are certain ‘real’ waffles, and certain ‘fake’ waffles. The really ones are square (ONLY), and have a small amount of powered sugar added. If you get a waffle with any sort of topping- chocolate, bananas, strawberries, you are a tourist… or tyrant! How dare you disgrace your country by getting a waffle adorned with goodies?!?! SHAME. Third, I can not get over the lay out of Brussels. It’s like their urban planner fell asleep at the wheel.
I know, I know- how can I say this about the capital of Europe?!.. but, it’s true. There is no method to this city at all. The sky scrappers tower over the historic beauties and completely dwarf them. While Brussels does its best to preserve these buildings, some are so cleverly hidden by their massive neighbors, you spend more time finding them than appreciating them. From what we’ve read and heard, Brussels natives are very aware of the aesthetic obstacles their city has, and just proudly accept it. I’m sure if the weather were just a few degrees warmer, searching 20 minutes for a building might seem a bit less aggravating.
When we couldn’t take it any longer, we headed back to the hostel. The sun was almost setting, and a whole new kind of cold started to creep in. The kind that taps on the window panes, and gives you a grin that says ’knock, knock.. it’s me.. the midwest….. I found you’ and that--- that makes your whole body cringe.
During the night we were planning on going to a free concert at a local Botanical Garden which is a beautiful building in the center of the city made entirely of glass. We were really excited, especially because we’d done some serious searching to find low cost and fun night life. We needed to kill some time between that and the current moment, so we made the mistake of getting out the chess board.
SURPRISE! We missed the concert. After two games of chess and three VERY heated games of Yahtzee, I needed a water break. We glanced at the clock, and it was already 10 p.m.! Holy cats, time flies when you’re getting competitive. Settling on a ’tie’, we closed up shop because it was time to skype with my family. The Duffy Christmas was going on, and I couldn’t wait to say hi to everyone. I’ve been trying to keep as busy as possible to not let home/holiday sickness creep in, but it seems to do a pretty good job of following me the last few days. The Holidays just don’t have the same feeling away from family and friends. I can’t put words to it, accept to say it’s a very incomplete feeling. So this skype date. I was waiting for it, planning on it, this was sure to be the highlight of my very cold day.
I bought the internet for a ridiculous 2 euro an hour (3 dollars) and got everything all set up. We tuned in, and got about 3 minutes into the conversation. Our connection was really poor, and I got to see around 15 familiar faces, and the cameras went out. Then the voices started going in and out. NO. NO! NO!!!! I was furious. The kind of furious where punching something might help.. but no, I’m around 18 years past that. I could cry? I thought about crying for a while, and finally came to the conclusion that there was nothing I could do. It was already 10 p.m. here, and I bought their junky internet. I was bumming hard that I couldn’t see my family and take part in the festivities that are some of my favorite memories of the year. Skyping was my only consolation, and now.. it’s like we’re on walkie talkies going out of their range.I felt defeated. Bed was really the only thing that seemed logical at this point. Being awake offered me nothing but anger, as I sat and festered about what just happened.
Alright, so here I am.. in my bed, feeling sorry for myself as one should… and- well something kinda funny happened.
Erik and I are in a six bunk room. We’ve only had two roommates so far, and considered ourselves pretty lucky. Last night we had a full house, and couldn’t complain. Erik and my bunk was against the same wall as an additional bunk, and I had the lower bed. We hadn’t seen who our sleeping buddies would be, but I guess it didn’t matter. My eyes got heavy, and I wondered in and out of sleep.
Our bunkmates came in at around 12:30, no big deal. I’m pretty use to the noise of others by now, and I woke up momentarily to make sure they weren’t bringing in a circus or planning on mugging us blind. Check and check. So, they’re shuffling around and getting into their beds. I can block this out. Ahhh, darkness and all becomes quiet once more….
5 minutes pass...
Slap, slap.
Slap, slap.
What…..in…. the….?? Is that boy giving my feet a high five?
Slap, slap.
OKAY. EWW. His feet are TOUCHING mine. Not just in the accidental our bunks are too close kind, but in the okay lets pretend our feet are hands and we just did something really neato and now we need to high five it out!! He was literally slapping the pads of his feet again mine. He either doesn’t know, or doesn’t care. But YUCK. Our feet are high fiving!!!!!!!! Uhhhh, you very well could have toe jam, and your smushing it ALL OVER ME. I immediately moved my feet.
Unfortunately, these beds are not made for people over 5’8. My head was already at the very top of the bunk, and it couldn’t go any further. Do I say something? I’m starting to sweat.
I moved my feet to the corner of the bed, and just planned on sleeping straight at a diagonal. The toe tapper must’ve fallen asleep, or followed my feet, because I felt a big toe graze my foot.
BAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Slap.
I had to laugh, this was outrageous.
I curled up into a ball. I knew I wouldn’t sleep, but I had no choice. It was either sleeping in the fetal position, partially out of fear, partially out of my preference for hygiene.. OR, I would wake up holding ‘toes’ with this young fellow.
In the end, I was able to fall asleep easier than I thought. I escaped a night of feet fives, and consider myself a survivor.
I did wake up and sneakily get a good luck at his mug. Part of me wanted to wiggle my toes in his face, but the hungrier part of me took over and Erik and I went downstairs for breakfast.
Thank goodness life is interesting!
No comments:
Post a Comment