Amsterdam
Let me start by saying Amsterdam is AMAZING. And no, not in the high as a kite way. Amsterdam, although yes filled with pot heads, is an amazing city. I don’t even know where to begin. Your arrival by train brings you to the heart of the city and show cases its beauty by having one of the most elaborate train startions I’ve ever seen. There are soaring clock towers, and old buildings everywhere. Amsterdam is lined with row houses, and has had famous inhabitants dating back hundreds of years. There is more often than not a slight smell of weed in the air, but aside from that, the city seems to be way above any expectations I had.
Their grocery stores are little bits of heaven. EVERYTHING is cheap, healthy and DELICIOUS. A huge bag of granola around the size of my head is 1.25 euro, fruit smoothies for 2 euro, breads, jams, meats and salads, all 75% cheaper than in the U.S. I know, some of you are thinking, well what about their junk food? Even that’s fresh!! All of their ‘frozen’ pizzas are accompanied with a side of basil and olive oil to sprinkle on the pizza at your discretion.
We arrived at our hostel and were more than ready to go to bed. We’d been on a train for 12+ hours, and just needed some rest. Our hostel is SO nice. It’s an old row house and comes with all of its charms. Erik and I have a room with down comforters, fresh linen daily, and long windows that look out onto a canal. The people are friendly and breakfast is complimentary…I could seriously get use to it here.
Today was suppose to be our get aquianted with the city day. We spent all of the morning just walking, trying to understand its layout. We went to their oldest market, Albert Cuypmarkt, and walked around for over an hour. The market has been in existence for over 100 years and rages daily from sunup to sundown. There are clothing, food, odds and ends vendors all ready to serve your every need. We found an old antique store with INCREDIBLE pieces, entirely in tact. Wooden pieces dating from the 1700’s, stain glass, jewelry boxes, bicycles.. a little slice of heaven. After we spent much longer than I’m sure Erik would’ve liked in there, we found a smoothie stand. They make the smoothies out of two things, natural yogurt and fruit of your choice. Of course, we had a mango, banana, passion fruit smoothie that was finished before the paper came off the straw.
These type of little stands are everywhere, so if you have a zest for fruit (hahah) or like eating healthy, you’ll love it here.
Amsterdam is also filled with canals. That is what makes the city so easy to navigate, and in my opinion, so much more different than most big cities. The canals are beautiful with all the row houses (and coffee houses) lining the way. If you took away all the cheesy neon signs, you really would have no clue what time period you’re in.
We walked away a good chunk of the day, just taking in all of the bicyclists and the flavor of the city, and found our way to a boutique area around the late lunch hour. We walked in and out of shops, and found this place that looked to be a municipal market. This door might as well have been the closet in the Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, because we were in Narnia. A huge stainless steel cafeteria(esque) building, with 30 or so tiny different vendors. Oh you want fruit for lunch? We have EVERY SINGLE KIND OF FRUIT EVER right here for you to chose from. Or pasta salads, or stir fries, or sandwiches, or salads.. you get the picture. All fresh, made in front of your face. A million different smells hitting your nostrils, all begging to take precedence.
There was a ‘mess hall’ attached with beautiful hardwood floors, and large windows over looking the canal. We ate like kings (at a peon’s price!) and enjoyed one of the most beautiful views in town!!!! I would eat there every day of my life if there was one even remotely near where I lived!
So again, full stomachs, time for more exploring. It was getting later into the afternoon, and the sun was going down. Erik and I were about to cross a huge intersection when BOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!!! CRASH!!!! Completely out of nowhere this MASSIVE swan crash lands into the middle of this HUGE intersection. This has to be a joke. Aren’t swans suppose to be graceful?!?!! This bird was literally so large, it just kind of stunned both of us. The bird was scared too, and wouldn’t move. It just kind of laid there, absorbing its crash landing. I stood there, completely dumbfounded and shocked. This bird was 100% garaunteed going to get hit. Erik tried to drag me away, but I couldn’t go. I couldn’t move. This majestic, yet VERY clumsy, creature was going to be cement pie in the blink of an eye. So, I did what any normal human being would do.
I went out there to get him. I know it was a he because women don’t drive that badly.
So I was ready to do…. I don’ t know, something! Anything! I decided scurrying would be the best idea because a) time was an issue and b) cars were coming in every direction. So... I scurried toward this feathered friend with my emergency rescue mindset all in order. Unfortunately he had different plans, which included NO ONE coming near him. This bird wasn't going to get ran over on my watch, so I just continued toward it. The closer I'd get, the madder he'd become. Thankfully it was attempting to find its legs. So I just kept getting closer and 'shooed' it, and closer, and closer… he was now up mad, scared, and pooping.. yet on his way to crossing the road. When I saw the light at the end of the tunnel, I had to laugh. HARD.
No comments:
Post a Comment