Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Mom

Today is a day I need my mom.

I'm sure her mom-dar is going off, and her ears are burning because I've been thinking of her incessantly.

I'm in shambles! First- my ear muffs... GONE! They were stolen/misplaced in Amsterdam, and I am really salty about it because it was my fault. We were out to eat, I set them down, we emptied our trays... and poof, they vanished. So, I suppose I lost them, but that also entails someone else 'moving' them... most likely into their pocket.

My purse. My BRAND NEW just for Europe purse BUSTED. Yes, strap snapped and all. I jimmy rigged it together, but it's only time before that too needs to be replaced.

My jacket. My jacket accidentally went through the wash with a kleenex or eight in the pocket, and now I have a lightly sprinkled jacket with no way to get those pills off. Which, saying they're everywhere constitutes an understatement.

Okay, okay.. no biggy. roll with the punches. This is part of traveling. I anticipated this.

HOWEVER. I did not anticipate losing my shoe. ONE shoe. How in the world did I lose one shoe?!?! Mind you, my best walking shoe(s). My black privos that I chose with so much care before coming here.

This is when my mom would tell me it's okay, and these things happen. All the great things moms know how to say. And if this didn't do the trick (I'm pretty sour right now), she'd probably touch my cheek with the back of her hand... and that, I think that would do it.

But she can't be here, and my purse is still broken, my ear muffs are still lost, my black fleece is still now salt and pepper, and I am minus one expensive, new, favorite walking shoe.

Looks like I'll be singing the Somewhere Out There song tonight...

1 comment:

  1. MADELINE! AH I know what its like to want your mom and she is nowhere near! Ps. my older sis sang somewhere out there in her high school caberet!

    ReplyDelete