I remember EXACTLY where I was when I first learned about sex. Something tells me that you probably do as well. I was sitting on our fluffy leather coach with my mom, we were reading a book with pubescent wording, questions, and pictures. I remember every moment of it. Once the goods were spilled, it changed EVERYTHING. How can you look at man, woman, child again without KNOWING?! Couples, grandparents, the universe?! At that particular point in my life, I would have given at least 3 years of birthday cakes to un-know this privileged information, DESPITE the fact that my sister knew for a full year and DIDN'T tell me (finally, in my favor).
It's things like these. These things that you can't unknow. That change you, change the way you see the world, how you understand it.
That is exactly how I feel about my place on this planet in relation to my 'waste habits'. Ever since I was in Europe, and I was able to truly conceptualize, or atleast have a better understand, of the term 6 billion and growing, I have a revived appreciation for my contribution to this planet. Ever since I was able to see what it looked like when a nation didn't pick up or hide their trash. When it was strewn in streets, gutters, and through oceans. The true value of trash and it's spot in our world.
That, in conjunction with, the fact that I give out more 'to go' cups, plastic bags, and Styrofoam hoohaas then there are fish in a pet store has made me just stop. Enough, enough, enough.
Truly. Lets say HALF, and that is not only being meager, but will be changing quickly, of the world's population- so 3 billion- people use 1 plastic bag ONCE a year. Three B.I.L.L.I.O.N. plasic bags that go some where. To go cups and lids, and bags, and boxes. And, this number is growing.
I don't find my efforts righteous, or special, or ground breaking. I feel it is expected. I can't unknow. And it's such a pain in the butt, let me tell you. There are moments when I would sincerely enjoy a plastic 'to go' cup for my iced whatever, but I cannot. I cannot unknow. I don't know if I see my position on this earth differently, or just value and understand others position more. As nations rapidly develop, what president am I setting? What kind of a standard are we setting for ourselves and the rest of the world? I am not 'to go' free, but I'm getting there. One less at a time.
I say this today, to draw attention to a patron who was the grand recipient 5 SEPARATE to go boxes because she didn't want her food to touch. Looks like I'm going to have to start making my own 'wasters unite' brochures to hand out with the bills.
Until then, feel free to not think I'm too crazy.
No comments:
Post a Comment