Gosh guys, I don't even think I can keep my fingers steady enough to type.I really don't even know where or how to begin this post either.
Okay, clearly I've been M.I.A., sorry about that. My parents are up for the week, and we are internetLESS at the cottage.
Present day(s). I was offered a catering gig to add to my summer expertise, which I accepted. I am without a white collared shirt, and because the standard catering get up is ugly on ugly, I needed to fill this requirement. I wasn't enthused about spending a ton of money about it, and opted to try a few re-sale shops instead.
There's this one called Scandia in Sister Bay. If you EVER get remotely close to Door County, GO TO THIS PLACE. It is a resale GOLD MINE. GOLD MINE. All of the proceeds go to the resides of the Scandia nursing home, so on top of fabulous finds, you can rest easy knowing your money was going somewhere useful. Sorry for the tangent, SO- literally everything there is donated by people with great taste and absurd wealth. Never before used amazing items.. for NEXT TO NOTHING. A little for instance- I had bought a Patagonia book bag, that retailed at not cheap. I found the EXACT one, NEVER used, in a navy blue for FIVE DOLLARS. YES. serious.
Alright, semi-cross road, yet needed info. There's a place, Linden Art Gallery, in Ellison Bay, WI. This art gallery primarily shows Asian works. Really nice, ORIGINAL, older than your great grand parents works.
You can imagine my elation, when I started paroosing the isles with no luck on the shirt, I stumbled across one... two... three. FOUR. Yes, F.O.U.R. original piece of art. They're all scrolled.
Guys, I lost it. Seriously, I started to shake and was looking around wondering who was going to pop out of the clothes and take them away. And you know how much they were selling them for?!?!
TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS EACH.
Again, this is a sick joke. No, not 250 or 2,500. 25. BAHHH!!
Palms sweaty, and bordering a freak out, I walked up to the kind old lady with too much perfume and a beehive hair do. 'Yea, I was wondering, would you mind putting aside these 4 pieces while I go home and get my wallet? I PROMISE to be back, just whatever you do, under NO circumstances sell these. NONE. NOT EVER.' (Insert biggest smile I have for emergency situations only). And here, is where I interject art is truly in the eye of the beholder.
Clearly the value and beauty of these treasures escaped her. She failed to see the HAND SCROLLED, HAND PAINTED, HAND FRAMED, specs on the back. 'Sure, hun. Really, no problem. We'll consider them yours.'
BOOYAH. And you know what? I got out to my car and SQUEELED like a pig, hit the wheel a few times and called Linda, barely edging out 'IGOT4PIECESOFARTFROMTHELINDENGALLERY. WELL,FROMSCANDIA,BUTTHELINDENGALLERY.THEY'REONHOLD.DOIBUYTHEM.'
After a few long seconds where Linda put together my breathless paragraph she said,
'OF COURSE YOU BUY THEM!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!??! GO!!!!!!!!!!!'
....I zipped back there quicker than a shake of a lamb's tail, and cannot WAIT to post those pictures. I want to go into detail, but it would not do justice. Not even close.
No comments:
Post a Comment