Friday, July 23, 2010

What a spectacular..... bread box???

A bread box?!

Yea, a bread box. I nearly fought to the death for it, too.


I was 'antiquing' which is one of my all time favorite (also: see lamest) pasttimes. I was with my cousins and my aunts and it was a total blast. We were browsing through isles seeing tons of things we of course didn't need, but really wanted.

I spotted this old stainless bread box from the 1930's. It was a little over two feet high and a foot wide. I INSTANTLY fell in love with it. It had a worn out 'bread and cake' sign on the front, and two shelves on the inside. This would be PERFECT in my new place in Madison.

I hurriedly found my cousin, Della. 'Della, look at this! Do you see what I see?! I could tweek x, and move y, and paint z.. da dah dah.' So, in my peripheral is this miserable hawk of a woman, kind of swarming Della, myself, and... THE BREAD BOX. I could feel her staring RIGHT at it. WHO DOES THAT?!

NO WAY. I FOUND IT FIRST.

I lean over to Della, and asked if she saw the woman, too. Indeed, she did. This woman was clearly saying 'HEY, I'm taking that bread box if you don't make a decision on it NOW.' Don't get me wrong, I wanted this bread box, I could see it with magnets and a new varnish.. it had a home, and I had a vision. But was I ready to make a decision that instant?!...


Split second decision, I said, 'Della, I'm going to go buy this (it was too heavy to carry).' The lady clearly heard this, but it didn't mean a thing. The second I stepped away from it she started examining the edges, checking the price tag, and looking around to guard it.

By the time I came back, she was already guarding MY BREAD BOX. The bread box I NEED. I WANT. The breadbox that's MINE.

And let me tell you, I wasted no time telling her, 'sorry, it's sold.' She said, 'well, actually I was planning on buying.' And WASN'T BACKING OFF.

And all I could think was, Is this seriously happening? I'm nearly jousting over a BREAD BOX.

At that moment in time, I would have paid alot more than 30 dollars for this bread box I didn't need. It was about principle!!!

After a few more choice words and some evil glances, she realized the bread box had an owner. I realized I'd just bought a bread box.

So here I am. A proud owner of a bread box.

No comments:

Post a Comment