I have to add this before I forget. Daily, I find myself gravitating towards the markets. I find it the most authentic experience, as well as the most lively. The Italians bellow glutinous songs and deals mostly friendly competition against their neighbor.
I just feel so oddly 'at peace' in this bartering jungle. Meat is hacked, fruit is sold, smiles are exchanged, and haggling rings in your ear. I was getting my fruit for breakfast, and a vendor away I heard the sweetest voice. There was an Italian man, behind his meat counter, gently singing at a hardly decipherable level.. He was at peace too, his happiness rolling off of his tongue in beautiful Italian.
I listened closer, and realized he was just singing the same words over and over.
'Que sera, sera, Que sera, sera'. What will be, will be. What will be, will be.
How very true. Calm in chaos, come what may. Que sera, sera. How I do love Italy.
No comments:
Post a Comment