Friday, June 18, 2010

Can you dig it?

In two days I'm moving up to Door County for the summer. I am living with a woman named Linda, who is one of the most motivating women I have ever had the opportunity to meet. She's brilliant, well traveled, hilarious, an active competitive biker, and a complete joy to be around. She worked in the South West and now has a summer home (that she designed (as a hobby!)) in Ephriam. Her personality is really contagious and down to earth, so when ever I spend time with Linda I always end up talking and laughing wayy too much.

I snapped a few photos of my new digs. Well, atleast the house. I'll be showing you guys around Door County all summer, and figured this was the perfect place to start. Admittedly, I am starting to experience some sadness and a pretty nasty longing to be in tiny cobblestone streets surrounded by marble statues.. but I read this quote and found it to be pretty true.

"You can choose to search for happiness or for disappointment, either way you always find what you're looking for."


In this particular instance, I don't think I could have found a better quote to put things into perspective. Although I'm struggling with the (relatively temporary) permanence of no longer having an incredibly novel day to day life, I am learning that new'ness' can be just around the corner. It's everywhere if it's what you're looking for. To focus on the uniqueness of Wisconsin, specifically Door County, makes this place that has been 'my home' seem new to me all over again.

You will find what you're looking for. If I choose to look for all the things that AREN'T like Europe, and all of the things that I miss, aren't the same, or won't have back for a very long time, I will inevitably be surrounded by deficiencies. However, if I choose to focus on all of the things I love about Wisconsin, all of the things that make this place my home, I will be continually reminded that I have so much to be grateful for.


.. It also helps to have a positively excellent living space!













1 comment:

  1. Looks beautiful, I love the stone in so many parts of the house! And you should search for happiness, especially in Door County! I've never completely appreciated my parents house until this year and reading your quote made me remember that while I might love parts of their house a ton, there is a reason I love the city, too.

    ReplyDelete