Monday, June 21, 2010

'See ya' Saturday

I couldn't mentally escape the anxiety of Sunday. Although it was Father's Day, and I wasn't working yet, it seemed my toosh was wound as tight as a snare drum. Don't ask my what I was nervous for- I have to feel I'm not the only person who gets nervous for highly illogical reasons? Maybe change, maybe the future, maybe life? Who knows.

It looked like Saturday would be the celebrated last day at home with my parents. I happen to find my parents fabulous, so this day was a guaranteed blast. My mom, dad, Erik, and I made it to the farmer's market. Both my parents are 'we'll get there when we get there' kind of people, and this day was no exception. On our way to the market, we saw a sign that said, 'HUGE garage sale'. Despite my dad's opinion of this stuff being JUNK on a unanimous accord, I felt SO differently, and here's why:


- Vintage suitcase, $3.00. PERFECT condition. Not a scratch. Leather on the outsides, great stitching. Original everything. I'll be using it to stage post cards, pictures, and small keep sakes from Europe.. 'A suit case of memories'. GREAT FIND, right?!






-Plate of the year, $2.50! I'll be making a plate wall in my kitchen in Madison and have already started scouring rummage sales, Goodwills, and any other possible place to find my favorites. Plate walls are fun, cheap, and can be (if you so choose) really darn artsy.



Inspiration:

http://downandoutchic.blogspot.com/search/label/plates

(Semi-related segway of amazing keepsakes that are falling into my hands.) My mom was given a ring by a very close friend of hers. The ring was made of an old type writer key, and has my mom's initial. M. The ring didn't fit my mom, but you know who it did fit?? Me. That M for Martha? Is now M for Madeline. Forever and ever. It's probably the coolest thing I'll ever own.




1 hour later, we arrived at the down town Green Bay Farmer's Market. I shouldn't harp on Green Bay's farmer's market, because as my aunt so truly pointed out, it is still very early in the season. However, for every farm fresh stand (at current) there are around 17 not fresh- baked, fried, sugared, roasted, beef, pastry, venison, candy corn, cheese stands. * This happens to be a double edge sword my friends. Our greatest liabilities are also our greatest assets!* Despite the smell of freshly fried wontons, we were able to navigate over to a healthier section.. and purchase these, DELICIOUS peas!


Jarred foods. Babies in buckets. Yarn. Nuns. 9 a.m. All a day in Green Bay.



Afterward, we ventured over to a place called 'The Attic'. I can take absolutely no credit for this. This place is my dad's find, and it has both great coffee and great books. My mom was able to find a reasonably priced book in superb condition, and we all sat around increasing our caffeine levels, talkin smart and having fun.




The day continued and the winds brought us back home. There were a few things I didn't get a chance to take pictures of. A) Us dismantling our back door. B) My dad and Erik staring hard at it, wishing that they had a little more knowledge than they did. C) A joint venture to home depot, jimmy rigging supplies in hand (door supplies which names escape me, and screen) D) 3 people to rescreen a screen- brilliant craftsmen D) Hungry bellies.


For dinner we put our peas to good use. I made a dipping cilantro cream sauce I had at Lindsay and Korys a few weekend's back (yes, Lindsay and Kory, our fellow European travelers!). This recipe is SO good people, you'll want to eat it PLAIN. I did. Seriously. I A.T.E. a cream cheese spread.. plain. WOW. In case any of you feel like inviting some cream cheese to hop on your lower back, here's the recipe link:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Amys-Cilantro-Cream-Sauce/Detail.aspx

And of course, a special thank you to Lindsay and Kory for creating such a fan favorite!


Accompanying them, grilled sweet potatoes with a lime and cayenne pepper zest. Another summer recommendation worth every bite!

e



The day was finished with a nice evening stroll to my grandma's, who, as always, delivered entertainment, stories, and great family.

2 comments:

  1. Your purchases are amazing...if only I could get Tom to start scouring for adult stuff and not childrens' toys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you kidding me with that suitcase and type writer key ring? OMG you may as well just open your own antique shop or etsy store. jeez.

    JEALOUSY.

    ReplyDelete