One of my best friends from college (and for life), Megan, is leaving for the Marines today. She was a roommate, a best friend, a partner in crime, and is a truly incredible person. I have to admit, however selfishly, that this is really hard on me. I am so exceptionally proud of her and I struggle to find words for what a courageous period of her life she is about to embark on, what it means to me that she is serving our country, and all of the bravery and selflessness that she has already shown. Our lives have collided like ships sailing in the night, and seeing her for a few days in between be being gone for 6.5 months and her leaving for, oh FOUR years... is really tough. I've ran the gambit of tears of happiness, tears of sadness, and an immense feeling of plain not wanting to let her go. Every free opportunity I have -where I would normally be writing to the winds of cyberspace- I have been trying to spend with her. She leaves today and it escapes my thought. Ultimately, I know I will grow accustom to our new and changing lifestyles and our friendship will be all the better for it. In the mean time I've been chewing Tums like Skittles.
On a much lighter note, I went out over memorial day weekend. It felt FABULOUS!!!! I mean, never knew I needed, 100% amazing, exhilarating and F.U.N. I didn't realize how badly I needed a girls night until it was literally hitting me in the face. I went out with a great friend, Jenny, who I've known forever. We've been friends since freshman year of high school so we've seen each other through everything from puberty to college and beyond. We ended up going to a birthday party for one of our track coaches and had an amazing time. Faces from the past that I haven't seen in years! But, it wasn't awkward. Not one bit. There are sometimes when I hesitate a little wondering who I'll see and have to search for words with. It wasn't that way at all, the whole night was effortless. Before I knew it, it was 2 a.m. we'd met up with another friend Emily, and I spent a good chunk of the night laughing. I woke up the next morning and couldn't shake the head ache... or the smile.
This outfit was great! I had a yellow hand purse and yellow shoes. AND, you know what the best part about being gone for so long is??? EVERYTHING seems new!
So June 1st rolls around, and what do you know?! It's my mom's birthday! We really aren't too huge on gifts, and my mom is easily the worst of all of us. She won't even budge for even the smallest things.. as in -nice gestures. Mum is the word. 'I have everything I need. Go enjoy your day, honey!'AND this is no good. She's my MOM.
I took matters in my own hands and started to think. She's not a flowers gal. Well, atleast in the traditional sense. She really loves and appreciates them, but she doesn't like store bought flowers, and would prefer for them to be in the ground were she can a) admire them and b) won't kill them. Luckily for her, I wasn't taking no for an answer.
Here was the plan. What do you give a woman who doesn't need anything or want anything? Time. BINGO. Brilliant. I am enjoying my time off and am free as a bird. What could I give my mother to give HER free time to do what she wants? Let me tell you. Clean the house. Hands and knees, dashboards, dusting, murphy's wood oil.. the works. I got 'er done! I elicited Tux help for the music- he chose Stevie Wonder- and we were off.
No treat for the D.J.?
Alright, so I'm talking all out, top to bottom extravaganza. I finished this, and thought, 'hello! card time.' I personally prefer homemade cards, so why not give what I prefer (great logic, right?).. that's not narcissistic or anything! Anyway- so I got my mom 'flowers'. This actually entailed me cutting my head out and doing a little decoupaging from a magazine. I set off down to my grandma's and made the card down there while visiting some of the women in my life.
I know I mentioned earlier that I've been going Edward Sciccor hands crazy with my parents shrubs. Well I also gave a little T.L.C. to their lilac bushes (of course NOT with the electric mcbobber) and brought some in- if nothing else for one of Wisconsin's ALL TIME, BEST SMELLS.
For the finale, both of my parents LOVE looking at all of our Italy photos. They have them saved on the computer and both stop and admire the screen saver. Being the visionary I am, I materialized them from the screen saver (via a little help with Picassa touch ups) and perfecto!- 8x10s of Venice, Rome, and Cinque Terre- as real and vibrant as they'll ever get.
I suppose that kind of brings us up to speed. I CANNOT wait to share with you guys what I've made for my nephew's birthday this weekend. I'm starting today and even if it look half as good as it does in my mind.. it's an idea I want everyone to steal!
Your scarf is just beautiful!!
ReplyDeleteIs that 'Asenontevee'? They're so hot this season... Hilarious pictures of Tux, too.
I'm sure your parents loved the pics!
Miss you