Dear Anne,
It seems I have trouble heeding my own advice. As an aspiring health psychologist I know all about stress and the importance of simplifying my life. I'm great at telling other people that their junk is junk. It seems to just roll of my tongue "that NEEDS to go".I can help them throw their crap out with ease, talking them through why this article can no longer be something they are even remotely affiliated with. Yet, when it comes to my own junk I find it impossible to throw it away. I know my junk is just like theirs, yet i cannot follow my own advice. T-shirts, magazines, cosmetics, you name it- it's as though I'm trying to make a 23 year old running time capsule of everything owned in my life. I'm worried I might have some classic symptoms of a hoarder and might need an intervention. Please feel free to send the advice directly to me. This piece doesn't need to be published. It's a piece of junk anyway.
Thank you,
Hoarder extraordinaire
Okay, but seriously. THREE times I've 'started' to go through my things and then it just becomes too much. It's pathetic!! "Of course I need that 4 year old eye shadow, even though the color is horrid and I only wore it a few times, it's still in great condition. I can't be wasteful, I'm sure that was expensive." I need a good slap.
I can charge through our house and tell my parents, 'hey that's crap' and even start piles for them. Yet when I turn the tables on myself, I instantly become an emotional 90 year old who must keep everything she possesses. So please, feel free to tell me
MADELINE: GIVE IT UP. ALL OF IT. YOU'LL BE BETTER FOR IT.
At the very least- my room wouldn't resemble a hamsters cage with burrowed tunnels.
invite my husband over. I call him 'the anti-clutter'. He'll make things all better, I promise ;) (or worse, how ever you want to look at it)
ReplyDelete