Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Seville

I know I say "I love this city" about every city. My love is now so unconstrained I look more like the creepy polygamous neighbor with too many wedding rings than the devout singer of a true love. Yet here I am, right on the band wagon, adding another city to the list.


This time I won't tell you how wonderful it is. I will just tell you some facts, that way when you deduce the same thing I did, you will have no choice but to see the temptation. As Spain's 4th largest city, it dominates the south as as its urban power house of culture, finance, and art. It was made a UNESCO world heritage site because it is literally perfectly preserved. The city itself is more than 2000 years old, originating as a Roman city, as well as spending much time under the reign of the Moors. The weather is great and the food is cheap. Block after block, and I'm not kidding - REALLY- when I say this, is perfectly preserved. Situated along the Guadalquivir River, Seville boasts a heavy social life, and a multi- kilometer river walk. And, although I do not consider this fact in any way alluring, Seville is also the home to Europe's first tobacco plant.










Seville has old world charm. Everyone dresses up, no matter what. People go to the main drag to 'take tea and coffee', but in reality, to see and be seen. Walking miles in high heels and suits, sun penetrating through every layer of clothing, they are exotic birds of the same feather. It is truly Spain's best kept secret, and now I know why so many people guard it so closely.



We were hanging out on the steps of an exceptionally large monument resting and taking in the sun. The rays were so bright & intense it was hard to even turn to the side and open my eyes. Erik and I were talking- more or less about nothing- when it occurred to me I should get up and look around for a bathroom. Apparently that was not to be, because as I stood up, I stood right into a huge chain link rope. The chains were the size of shoes and thicker than my bicep. So just as quickly as I was up... I was DOWN.



It was embarrassing, painful, and HILARIOUS all at once. With a goose egg immediately forming, I did my best to look cool... maybe I'd planned it or something. There was no use. I was down for the count. The bathroom could wait. It was one of those moments where laughing and crying simultaneously seems like the best and only answer. So that's what I did. And luckily for me, it was all caught on film.

No comments:

Post a Comment