Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Trash, beaches, and Lagos, oh my!

Well, lets just get it out there. Erik and I didn't choose Lagos because it is culturally rich and has tons of history. We chose it for their first class beaches. The best beaches in all of Portugal, in fact. We head to Madrid on Saturday, and knowing what's ahead (a little less than week!) we both agreed a little decompression before the emotional overload was a great idea.





Lagos, like Lisbon, was not easy to get to. We took two off the beaten path trains that were so bouncy and wild I wondered if the tracks were made on springs. A long, jiggly ride later we arrived. When I thought it was hot in Lisbon, I was sadly mistaken. Lagos... now that's hot. We got to our hostel and I was DRIPPING. It was a sight to be seen.. Erik and I coming in as if it were raining.

We wasted no time showering and getting to the beach, and WOW. Everything you could want. Hot sand, big shady areas and the most picturesque rocks you'll ever see. 3 days of pure relaxation. Eventually the heat becomes inescapable, and you have to go in the water. The perfect toe numbing, ice cold waters, do the trick just as well as lake Michigan.





While Erik was napping I went on a shell hunt. It happened accidentally when I saw a bright purple and pink irridecent shell out of the corner of my eye. That sounds nuts, right?! I know I have never seen a shell that vibrant and that hue. I started picking and couldn't stop. The tide was coming in and they were everywhere! Some lady tried to pick in my turf, but a few stink eyes later and she got the point.




Anyway- the real reason I mention this has less to do with the shells, and more to do with the trash. There was garbage EVERYWHERE. By an overwhelming majority the winner was plastic- primarily plastic bags and plastic bottles. Almost no one minded, people just swam around it. I was appalled. So half way through my shell hunt, I became the crazy garbage collector. I combed our area of the beach and came out with a disgusting amount of plastic. I just wanted to scream, 'WHY DON'T ANY OF YOU CARE?!? I guess they were all either too drunk or too into their beach volley ball to notice the tide of bottle caps hitting their feet.






Long before this trip I started making a concerted effort to not use plastic bags. My Aunt Sarah gave my mom a Chicobag (eco friendly bag) a few years back, and that started it all. I also have an aluminum canteen and use tap water. I'm not pointing any fingers because I have slipped my fair share. But please, if any of this disgusts you/ interests you/ worries you know it IS IN YOUR REALM OF CONTROL. Too often I see and hear things on the news that just seem so far out of my locus of control, it's hard to conceive that I could in any way be part of the solution. But you don't need to hop on a jet to Africa for this one, or sign away a million dollars in monthly increments...

Here's a plan. By 5 eco friendly bags- they are at grocery stores now for less than a dollar. Put 2 in your car, and 3 in your house. That way, when you're in a hurry and out the door without those bags, that won't stop you from making a choice that benefits your future.


5 words: Water bottle and tap water.

Looking into the ocean and truly realizing that the things we consume go places, really hit a cord that I cannot explain. Again, I've used my share of plastic bags so I can say this and heed my own advice.. I know I'm no environmental regulator, but my time being part of the problem is soooooo yesterday!



Oh, and I should mention... we did have fun!


>

2 comments:

  1. LOOOOOOOVE THE HAIR!!! You can totally rock the short 'do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree!!!! but your arms are too skinny.

    ReplyDelete