We made it to Wisconsin safely last night at 8 p.m.. Our travel day was easy and hassle free, both of us receiving the welcome home we'd been imagining.
Have you ever seen the movie Cast Away? When he finally gets saved and is sitting in a hotel room flicking the light on and off? That is truly how I felt on the plane ride yesterday. Our entire trip Erik and I made being frugal an art form. There wasn't a thing we didn't try and stream line, figure out a way to cut costs, survive. We'd keep plastic knives,spoons, and forks saving them for times to come. We were conscious of napkins and paper towels, those too were luxury items. So when the stewardess had handed me over 2 complete sets of plastic cutlery as well as a trees worth of napkins, you can imagine the moment was quite surreal.
I know I've talked about anticipation and predictability before and they are currently in full swing. I anticipated the excitement of seeing my family. I knew how odd yesterday would feel having been in two different continents, two different countries, across an ocean within hours. I didn't expect how surreal it would feel to step into a shower barefoot, climb into a bed with without roommates, have a car going to a single destination, open a fridge with food and CHOICES, put on a new shirt.. It has been one little surreal moment after the next.
There are so many things I'd like to say right now. Emotion is just pouring out of me. There are so many people to see and kisses to give, with the limited time I have, I would like to say this.
Hands down, the resounding feeling of it all is.... gratitude.
More than sadness, more than vertigo...I feel so incredibly grateful. To be grateful is such a wonderful thing because it allows for awareness. And when you are aware of just how wonderful your life is, it truly puts itself in the palm of your hand.
WOO HOO!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI cannot imagine the feelings you're having right now! The intense changes you've had in the past 24 hours!
WHEN CAN I SEE YOU!!??
PS. So happy to see a blog entry, I was going through withdrawls in the last 48 hrs. SO many of my friends have said, 'i'm glad they're back, but i'm really going to miss reading her blog!' So you better keep up lady!
This trip will not be through with you for quite some time. I am glad to see that the prevailing attitude is one of gratitude and awareness. What a life.
ReplyDelete