Monday, May 10, 2010

Sciences parks & Moroccan tea houses

Our last day in Granada we spent at the science park. It was the park's birthday, so admission was free. The park was across town and we made the mistake of walking. We walked and walked until our feet were going to fall off. By the time we reached the park we saw just how important free admission is. There were people EVERYWHERE. My feet were blistered and burning, but it didn't matter. We'd seen posters for a Darwin exhibit, a human body exhibit, and a butterfly exhibit. The only thing was- it was geared at children. This might have deterred a good group of our peers, but not Erik and I. We have absolutely no problem accommodating immaturity.

We spent the entire day at this interactive museum. Although I was slightly disappointed at how peripheral most of the information was, I did have a blast touching and playing with all the exhibits. Surprisingly, most of our time was spent in a visual distortion and mental games exhibit where we were over taken with wonderment.



















By the time we left,I was so hungry I was seeing double. Erik had the delicious idea to stop and get some pastries. Being the complacent woman I am, I some how managed to join him and we devoured our way through siesta.


Here is where I'd be perfectly satistified with a day. We had an amazing time, got to see and do really interesting things, and didn't spend a cent. BUT, it didn't end here. I'd been hinkering all Granada to go to a Moroccan tea house. Despite the fact that they are indeed tourist traps, at one point they were a prevelant focal point of the community.








We got tea and a banana honey crepe. Lets just say they should stick to tea. Despite the cold and premade crepe, it was an experience. The mosaics were beautiful, the Moroccan music was blaring throughout, and the hookah haze was just barely deal-able.



Now, now is when I should REALLY be satisfied with the day, right?! Great museum, fun post siesta experience... it didn't end there! A few posts back I mentioned a place called Antiquilla, that tapas bar? Well, it has a sister restaurant, Antiquilla II. I should be blushing as I'm typing this.... so we went out for tapas at Antiquilla. They were DELICIOUS, so delicious in fact, we thought of getting another beer. It then occurred to us 'tapas might not come with another beer. what if we only get one round?'. Panic! We left Antiquilla and went to Antiquilla II!!! HAHA, WOW. NO SHAME, I know. Pretending we had no idea what was in store, we feigned delight at the monstrous sized tapas we were served.


Our walk home was filled with silence. We each managed a few 'wows' every now and again, but we had packed so much into a single day a comatose state of delight was all that was left.

No comments:

Post a Comment