Back to the beach. It was even swelteringly hot on the beach. The sweaty, sticky skin, smelly arm pit hot. Being the proud Wisconsinite I am, I can normally give a pretty good go to any weather that may come. However, humidity combined with almost 80 degree Fahrenheit equals one dehydrated cheese head.
We spent the whole day at the beach, and the sun did not let up. It was 4 o'clock and we needed to do something, ANYTHING. While looking for shade I decided it was best to put on my tank top... and not my pants. Do you have ANY idea how good it feels to walk around without pants???? (The odd part about coastal cities in Europe is that many of them AREN'T vacation destinations. They may have a beach, but they are primarily functioning cities with bustling centers.) Cascias isn't exactly a vacation destination, so I got my share of glares. But, hey! Who cares! There I was, free as a bird, walking around without any pants. We went to a bakery while I had on no pants. How good life is when you are anonymous.When we got back to Lisbon we stopped at a cafe where we had freshly peeled mango juice and fish sandwiches.
The real goods:
I don't sleep much anymore (that's not the 'goods'). But in my awake hours, while I'm patiently waiting for Erik to wake up, I listen to music. And I want to/ HAVE to share this. It's a secret, and one I want to let everyone in on it.
Here it goes...
Florence and the Machine
WOW.I'm not sure if she's made it to the United States, but she IS Stevie Nicks. If you have ever yourself listening to Gypsy or Riannon or Land Slide you will understand the power of that voice. And if you liked Stevie Nicks, you will LOVE Florence and the Machine. Her voice is so intense she will eat you up and spit you out over and over again.
She's 'that group' for me. She will be the singer of my European trip. I remember it clear as yesterday. We were sitting at our first hostel, and I was out of my mind overwhelmed. It was breakfast and I was drinking the average coffee trying to piece together everything that was happened. And just like that she came on. I loved her from the moment I heard her. I wrote her name down on a napkin and was determined to get her c.d.
I threw that napkin away and was on a 2 month search. For the life of me I could not find her. I was wildly obsessed with finding out who she was. I asked Europeans- namely Brits (I was sure she was one) and I kept coming up without answers. FINALLY, when we were in Croatia, I got a 'Florence and the Machine??' out of someone. DING DING.
She has not been out of my ear shot since.. As a testament to how universal she is, I may or may not have caught Erik shakin his toosh to her music (you didn't hear that from me!).
If I could recommend any of her songs they would be:
Dog Days Are Over
Between Two Lungs
You've Got the Love
Anyway, I was so excited to share her, it got me thinking. Maybe if you like her (or if you don't), you could enjoy the rest of what will permanently hold a place in my heart as the European Adventure of 2009 to 2010.
(Many thanks to my brother, Tom for helping create this collection) Without further delay-
Florence and the Machine- between two lungs
Florence and the Machine- dog days are over
David Gray- jackdaw
David Gray- fugitive
Wilco- you and I
Fiest- I feel it all
Yael Naim- new soul
Beatles- norweigan wood
David Gray- Kathleen
beatles- walrus
David Gray- song of the siren
Albert Hammon jr- in transit
Beatles- golden slumber
Paolo Nutini- new shoes
Adele- right as rain
Bon Iver- skinny love
Bon Iver-lump sum
Bon Iver- re:stacks
Dave Brubeck - take 5
Here We Go Magic- tunnel vision
Alexi Murdoch - orange sky
Alexi Murdoch- Blue mind
Nora Jones & Wilco- Jesus etc.
Ingrid Michaelson- Maybe
Oren Lavie her morning elegance
Nora Jones- Chasing Pirates
Ryan Adams- La Cienega Just smiled
Ray Charles- Crazy Love (Vanmorisson cover)
Van Morrison- Cleaning windows
Roy Orbison - Anything you want
ENJOY!!! You're welcome. You know why????
Life. is. best. when. shared. :)
I love that you went sans pants! So brave! :) And your music list will be downloaded and perhaps become my inspiration for law review write on, which officially started today but my mind hasn't quite grasped that yet. Enjoy the rest of the adventure!
ReplyDeleteI hope you like it, Maureen! I love sharing music.. it does something that words just can't. I can't wait to hear all about the updates of your planning, wedding pre-fun, and summer happenings! ... oh, and CANNOT wait for your wedding!!!
ReplyDelete