Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Parque de Maria Luisa

I feel like what I'm about to write is going to make me sound like I've been taking drugs or no longer belong in a community of sane people.

Everyone we've met said, 'You HAVE to go to Maria Luisa. It is why Seville IS. You MUST, MUST, MUST.' We had planned on heeding the advice, but just hadn't gotten around to it. As I'd mentioned, the city is huge, and it's just one perfectly preserved block after the next.

We finally got there yesterday, the day before we were to leave. The front gates, which were lined by rows of purple flowering trees, were surrounded by two of the biggest trees I have seen in my entire life. As if straight out of a Dr. Suess book, nothing seemed right. I mean these trees.. incomprehensible, I can only imagine that they could be similar to Seqouias. The different flowering trees in every direction.. Many had little to no leaves, just intensely colored flowers sprouting everywhere. The sheer magnitude of LIFE that was busting out of the park walls was intoxicating.

As we stepped inside there were loops, and circles, and plazas filled with beautiful old statues, ornate iron benches and reflection ponds. More reflection ponds than I have ever seen. Terraces lined with vines overlooking the ponds.

I took a seat at one of the reflection ponds and found myself entirely alone. I had the most intense feeling of deja vu I have ever had. A saying that stuck with me from a girl we met on the trip was 'deja vu is a unique worldly force; an external body telling you that is exactly where you are suppose to be in that moment'.

Whether or not this was true was not the matter. I couldn't move, I didn't want to. The feeling of this park was so physical, it felt like it was literally keeping me in one exact position. It was as if I'd been to that park every day of my life. I could have sat in that one position for hours and hours. It was the most extreme sense of calm I can remember feeling... I know how wacky this all sounds, yet I can't even crack a joke about it!














No comments:

Post a Comment