Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Ask and You Shall Receive



We arrived in Dubrovnik after one of the longest 11 hour stretches we've had. We decided that 'if we're going to be on a bus for 11 hours, why not make it a night bus?'.. I should've known, we both should've known.


More so than in other countries, the 30+ population does not speak English. I would also say, on the whole, they aren't exactly excited to see foreigners during 'off season'. No more than 40 minutes. 40 minutes at a time. Someone would approach our seats. PAPERS.. It's always the paper. I should laminate my passport and wear it around my neck like a charm bracelet.

The 11 hours were split into two chunks. The first, being from Zagreb to Split was fast, easy, and relatively quiet. Split to Dubrovnik was right along the coast, riding the mountains all the way in. The only thing separating your bus from a 400 ft. drop was a nice little 1 ft high railing. That'll stop us!

The corners were so sharp that everyone's luggage was flying out of the over head compartments. A loaf of bread hit Erik in the head, which was pretty darn funny after we realized he was fine. It worked out well for Erik, though. He was able to sleep. The people behind him were civilized human beings.

I on the other hand had a woman behind me who decided 'not today'. Any time I reclined my chair in even the SLIGHTEST motion, she'd push it forward. Not today. Out of a dead sleep, she'd see that I'd reclined, and she said something and pushed me forward. It was actually pretty funny, and kept me occupied for longer than I'll mention. Who is worse, a lady so selfish she won't let someone recline as she herself is doing?.. or is it the person so bored and tired she makes a game out of it? Lets call it a toss up!






11 hours later... pay day!


AND THE BUS RIDE WAS WORTH IT. I CANNOT explain the beauty of this place. It's really hilly, kind of like Hawaii. There are 100s of islands all around. There are inlets and alcoves with white houses and red tiled roofs. EVERY house. This place feels as if it is out of a movie.

We arrived at our apartment exhausted, and in a time warp.. it was 7 a.m. going on 'wayy too late, need some sleep'. When we arrived, it was as if we stepped into a dream. It's at the top of a house situated in one of the hills, there is a beautiful garden in the yard with lemon and orange trees. Almost all of the vegetation is lush and a deep green. For 18 dollars each PER DAY, we enjoy- our own apartment. I CANNOT express the joy I feel. I feel it in my toes. All over in my body, little party hats and balloons streaming through my soul! YIPPPEEE!! EVERY MOMENT is Christmas. Over and over and over. We walk into our apartment, JOY. I step out into our breakfast nook that over looks the ocean, and the orange trees in our yard,JOY. And especially- especially the moment that I get to go into that bathroom, and its PRIVATE... heck, I might not even need to wear my flippers! There are not five sinks, and 10 stalls. There is one of everything, and being spoiled has never felt this good. We have our own bathroom, bedroom, living area, kitchen (fully equipped!) and two eating areas, WITH AN OCEAN VIEW.



Even their overcast days are breath taking. The mountains and islands in the distance make beautiful different shades of grey. It's as if we're in the best black and white movie of all time. In addition to the beauty of even the dreariest day, the sea is undeniably blue. Ice blue. The blue that is Carribean, and exotic, and so distinctly oceanic that you marvel in its possibility. This is the first place that we've visited that is 'vacation-esque'. It's some place you'd come to get warm weather, breath taking sights and great sea food if you only had a week off of work. This is the place. A little inlet of paradise.

To finish an already great day, we had Calamri pasta last night. FRESH CALAMARI PASTA. FOR... drum roll...3 DOLLARS. Everything is fresh, and as our French friend Jalil says, 'sheep, sheep, (cheap)!'.




**** ..And of course, the reason this place has my heart in its purse. The running. The running I will be able to do here might be some of the best in our 6 month journey. JEEZ LOUISE!!! Along the ocean, through the foot hills... My feet are pattering just thinking about it!


This is a photo of the view from our breakfast nook (I'd like to post more photos, but it takes around 10 min. a pic!)



What we get to enjoy for the next 7 days..





On a very real note, I think I can speak for Erik and myself that we feel a strong sense of accomplishment. Looking out of our apartment that over looks the ocean, there is an overwhelming feeling of 'this is exactly what I want'. I wanted this precise moment. This is it. I EARNED IT. I slaved 6 MONTHS for this moment right now, and its MINE, because I wanted it. I wanted it badly enough to transform a thought of adventure into my actual life.

Considering the scale, and being the recent college graduate I am, this trip has served as a constant reminder of the blank ticket that is my life. It is mine for the taking. I can mold it, shape it, and deliberately create the life I have always wanted. There is a proverb, 'you create your own luck', and in many ways I do believe that. The consequences of creating a moment for yourself out of your own means, blood, sweat, and tears is one of the most powerful lessons I've encountered. I have had the priceless realization that this world is absolutely at my finger tips. I can be or do anything I want, and I will. I am doubtless to that. I know the strongest thing stopping me would be myself. And considering that any inhibitions I've had are gone with the winds, every day is a step in a more determined direction. This week in Croatian paradise is mine, not as a gift, or as a reward for an accomplishment, but a well deserved period of time I chose for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment