Friday, February 26, 2010

When less isn't more

I'll tell you why people who visit Italy get fat. Every type of amazing food that you can imagine is here. Oh, and its cheap... or 'sheep' if you're French. By cheap, I don't mean, oh.. 'well, why not! pick one.' I mean, SO cheap, that you pick them all. For example, the abyss that I was yesterday consumed this:

We went to a coffee shop on the water
16 oz cappucino 1.20
Pastry the size of my head 1.30
(filled with powered sugar and ricotta, PERFECT not to sweet combo!)
A typical Sicilian ball 1.50 .. Let me apologize, their true name escapes me. That is really what they are though, just balls of Sicily love. I'll admit, when I got it, I wasn't sure what I was ordering. I love to do that.. It was a corn bread deep fried something. So, sure, why not! It turns out they are a Scilian classic, and are stuffed with risotto, vegetables, and meat.. or in other cases risotto, spinach, and cheese.. It was a softball size risotto pot pie!

We walked around all day and took in the beautiful mid 60's weather and the salty breeze that helped push us along. Late afternoon rolls around and we stumble upon a gelato store. We did the classic, 'lets just look'. Oh come oooon. Please. Who just looks? No one. No one just goes into a store, sees fabulous things, and then hits the road.. It's ust looking gets us in the door. Just looking gets something or whatever in our hands and in our bellies. That's the code for 'just looking'.

authentic Italian Gelato (flavors unknown) 1.50

Then, of course, dinner time. We were walking down a street that had PIZZA/PASTA signs with cute tables neatly tucked to the edge of the street... Well, why not?!
Pesto pasta 5 euro (for me)
Carbinara 5 euro (for Erik)

When it came out, I'll admit, I thought it looked 'normal'. I was a bit disappointed. There has to be some Italian, special, top secret, off limits way to do this, that no other place in the world is privy to experience except Italia.

Turns out, there was one. The important one.

The taste!!

I am a pesto- nut. I prefer it to almost any kind of pasta and this was the best pesto I've ever had. I was carb loading to go to sleep and couldn't have cared less. Shovel full after delicious shovel full.

For a total of 9 euro, I ate the whole day.. like a king. I'm going to need bigger pants and a stretcher, because at these prices and at this taste, less is not more. More is more, and I'll have one of everything please.

No comments:

Post a Comment