Monday, February 22, 2010

The Ladybird of Split

I don't mean to do this. I really really (REALLY) don't. However.... I want you to know what it's like. It is normally my preference to stay in bed and breakfasts. I really enjoy the homey feel, and the price is very similar to that of a hostel. Becuase Erik and I aren't raging party animals living in a time warp, when I have the opportunity to stay in a room with two beds instead of 10, I'll almost always bite. Once we learned we had to come to Split, I found what looked like an amazing B&B. It is a stones throw from the coast, owned by an artist, we'd have our own room, and there is artwork everywhere. Sounds too good to be true?

... of course, it was. The location and the place turned out to be just as advertised. However, Ladybird makes me feel like I'm walking on eggshells.. everytime she sees me, she just stops and stares.. smiles, and says nothing. Who is this Ladybird? Oh, she is the owner.. who wears a bright green curly wig with cat ears, a bright green vest, with matching pants, and dog slippers. The only name we have to call her is Ladybird, because that's what she introduced herself as.I am making a very conscious effort to put all of that aside, but when you're trying to talk money and keys house rules with someone who looks like Ronald McDonald on St. Patrick day, you're in a serious conundrum. I know she means well, but I find myself scanning the hallways like a 007 agent before I go to the bathroom.


All of that being said, Split is beautiful. Much more so than I thought. The city is built along the coast on the downward slope of a mountain. The city is one of Croatia's oldest, so aside from being a relatively large city, it has some really interesting historical aspects to it as well.

While on a run I discovered that if you head away from town, the first three miles of coast line are entirely pedestrianized. Not a house or a huge sky scrapper to be found. Just a large wide road and two side walks with cafe bars scattered every quarter mile.
Apparently the people of Croatia love the idea just as much as I do, because it was as if they were having their fourth of July equivalent. People were out in masses, just walking, talking, and enjoying each other. Entire families, extended and immediate. I loved it! All of these people with no place to go.

This photo is of the mountain range directly outside of Split. I took it in the early morning when I was too antsy to wait for Erik.





Erik on the coastline (look at all those blues!)




We stopped at one of the cafe bars along the water... pretty amazing place!






I found a sponge, which I of course thought was so special and unique..



What a time we've had... our excitement is mounting for the ferry and Italia!! Until then, we'll wait in the shadows until lady bird goes to the grocery store.

No comments:

Post a Comment