Friday, February 5, 2010

Shantaram

Okay, so here it goes. This is a plug, but I have no motive! Repeat, no motive!


For Valentine's Day Erik got me a book. Because both of us are horrid secret keepers, Valentine's Day came on January 20, and not February 14. He was at a book store in Prague, and got into a long conversation with the owner. Erik was discussing different books of his own interest with the owner, and eventually they got very off topic. The owner invited him to the back room for tea, and upon Erik's acceptance, they started one of the best conversations anyone can have. 'What's your favorite book?' .... The guy mentioned a book called Shantaram. He said it pulled him out of a suicidal point in his life, and was the best book he's EVER read. He said it 'changed his life'. Exact words, 'changed his life'. Coming from a man who OWNS a book store.

I'd never heard of the book before. I was happy and excited to get a new read, and trust that this book probably held its weight. You respect most opinions and recommendations from one literature junkie to the other. If it doesn't 'change you', or become an all time favorite, it's almost always still worth the read.

So, I cracked the book, dug in, and have not looked back since. Now is where I say. Buy it. Find it. Rent it. Download it. GET IT, GET IT, GET IT.

It has changed my life. It has become, and I HAVE 100 PAGES LEFT, my favorite book that I've ever read.

I can't promise or know what it will be for you, but it touches so many different areas of the heart, mind, and soul.. Just to let you know how incredible this book is, I've actually wanted to stop reading it. The book is split into parts, and when I reached part 4, I thought 'I can read a new book', I can put this book down so it won't be over. So these characters, painted as real, and true, and raw as so many real people in life, won't have to be over at the last page.

That's how great this book is. If you're looking for a read today, tomorrow, or in the near future, please write the name of this book down.

Shantaram.

No comments:

Post a Comment