Today was suppose to be overcast. While neither of us minded, and it wouldn't hinder a thing,this sunlight was such a surprise! Similar to someone lighting a fire cracker in my pants.
I made the executive decision Erik wouldn't want to miss the sunlight either, and thought it best to wake him as well. He had a mildly impressed expression, which would do considering he was now awake to the world without choice. I was immediately doing 10 things at once. Boiling water, throwing on jeans, putting my hair in a pony tail, getting the eggs out, all while running to the window every other minute. I EVEN decided that today I would wear makeup!!! (Which is huge for me because that takes extra time, and frankly I'll spend it doing something else) But yes, I decided. it's so beautiful out, I want my picture taken, and I want to look nice, and it's all going to look so wonderful... yes, mascara, and blush, and chapstick... the WORKS.
30 long minutes went by between when I woke Erik up, we were dressed, fed,cameras out, map found, and ready to roll.
Just as I was ready to force us both out the door, a series of clouds started to roll in. Erik, in his realistic nature saw things the way they were. Maybe we should've taken a deep breath and waited 10 minutes to see what happens... why I don't ever heed that is beyond me.
I on the other hand, the eternally naive optimist was going out regardless. In my moment to moment plan I decided it best to try and make it around the bluff, to where to coast stretched for miles. I'd just go around the marina, the weather would hold out, and poof! I'd beat the weather and have a great hike.
Nearly an hour passed. I was so immersed in trying to take in every moment of sunlight, I didn't realize that I'd walked myself in a very inopportune direction. One of beautiful views, and a looooooooong way back. So long in fact, I'd lost all of my mental geographical markers.
Ohhhh, how beautiful. SNAP. SNAP. SNAP. So happy I went.. SNAP. SNAP. SNAP.
Oh no. No?...... Yup. Move. Now. ...... SNAP. (haha, I couldn't help it!)
I wish I could tell you I made it home in the nick of time. But this isn't a fairy tale, and that's not the truth. I was poured on. The Greek water gods took an extended journey to dump (literally dump) buckets of rain from the sky. I didn't even think water could come down like that. Just when I thought, okay.. well, if this is as bad as it gets... I'll deal. I suppose I deserve it. But then.. It hailed. I was under a large tree, getting the occasional thump on the head... and I laughed. I had to. I mean, com'on!!
I eventually made it back, dried off, and contemplated the past few hours. I really outdid myself today.. Erik didn't even need to ask how it went. The story was written all over my face in 17 black streaks streaming from my eyelashes. I guess that's what I get for putting on makeup.
No comments:
Post a Comment