Where to begin?
Prague... Prague is just breath taking. I wake up every morning grateful. The kind of smile on your face before you're even out of sleep grateful. This city is absoultely beautiful. A perfectly preserved jewel sitting on the banks of the Vltava river. Each day brings a different cobble stone street with a different history and a different feel. The neighborhoods all intertwine, mixing 9th century history with 16th century history tumbling right into the 20th century. Of course you take notice to the detail in the shops. Cleverly interspersed, old, older, and oldest. But the true prize isn't found at eye level, it's found looking up. The beauty of Prague is in her roof tops. Some made of beautiful mosaic glistening in the sun, some made of detailed ornate carvings, some made using paints, all giving away their history in just a glance. Look a little farther and a whole new story unravels. Copper roofs, everywhere. Varying shades of green, and perfectly timed order. Each building was an architects dream, a present for the city and the people in it.
How do you expect me to leave this present day time capsule? Old and new have clashed, and the emphasis on the old is astounding. Beautiful cascading parks and beer gardens flow through the rolling hills. Large beautiful trees and tall brick walls, no part being off limits. Castles and cathedrals on both banks, north and south. A step into the 15th century is but a climb to the top.
There are of course, great individual stories. The friendly smiles and decent prices, the amazing views, and delicate bridges adorning hundred old statues. But it's the larger picture, the 'everything' package. The completeness of the city,and how the people ADORE it. They are so proud of their city, and it's evident in their everyday care. And I find myself wanting that. I am so sure of this city. I WANT this city. May it be my own to learn and appreciate?
I've convinced Erik it's in our best interest to stay. We've got a great thing going, so we've tacked an extra two days on. It's wayyy too short, but it's two days longer with a city I will be back to... hopefully it will be with a warm smile, and a heavy suitcase for three wonderful summer months..
No comments:
Post a Comment