Sunday, January 17, 2010

Me and my evil temper

Sometimes I just need to put a lid on it. Let sleeping dogs lie... On most occasions, this is how it works.'Bite your cheek Madeline'

Not today.

We've had an INCREDIBLE and busy weekend with our friend from Door County, Mark. He is orignally from Poland, and has been showing us all of Poland's wonders. The past few days in Poland have been some of the best days of our entire trip. When I had a free moment I was going to write all about Auschwitz Birkenau, the underground salt mine (more like underground WORLD), Krakow's castle, and the heart warming experience of meeting Mark's family.

I can't write about all of this because I'm too furious. Steam is boiling out of my head like a pot ready to explode.

Mark, Erik, and I were trying to get back to the hostel as quickly as possible. We'd spent longer with his parents than we'd intended and were in a hurry to get back and figure out the whole train to Prague situation.

There was a cross walk. We didn't use it. We walked about half way down the block and crossed there. This street Ved and was nearest our turn. It was something I would've done in the States without a single moment of hesitation.

Apparently, we aren't in Kansas anymore.

TWO police offers speed walk towards us like they had sand in their undies. And honestly, I really had no clue what was going on. We weren't thinking, 'oh crap, we're guilty.. shame on us.' I was wondering who was around us that was in so much trouble.


They approached US. They're speaking rapidly in Polish to Mark. Mark's voice immediatley gets higher. The "I'm sorry officer" higher that EVERY HUMAN being keeps in storage for moments like this. I had no idea what was going on, I could only tell that Mark's voice was gently leading them away from the inevitable.

They take us to their van. Take our passports. They start speaking to Mark again in Polish. This ticket was going to cost EACH of us $20.00.

Both of the police officers speak English, and speak it well. HOWEVER, they will NOT say a word to Erik or I. They told Mark to tell us that we are in Poland. We should speak Polish. If we have a problem with that, they can ARREST us and take us to the station.

So it starts. The baby hairs on the nape of my neck go on edge. The shiver systematically climbs through my entire body. Excuse you ma'am, but you speak FLUENT English, will happily give me a ticket that (without Mark's help) I would have NO IDEA what for. You will take my money, yet give me no explanation except saying ARREST in perfect English.

So I told Mark, ask her in Polish why she will not speak to us in English. HER REPLY?! You want to know her REPLY!?!?

.. Her mother has been to the States. She had some problems with the cops. They NEVER gave her the chance to speak.


Is this a joke? EXCUSE ME. This must be a joke. I'm partially laughing, and partially shaking. This had NOTHING to do with the ticket. Ya, ya, we were in the wrong. I get that. Here's your 60 pln.. BUT, you won't speak in a LANGUAGE YOU ARE FLUENT IN why? To spite me?


I glared evil holes into her. What I couldn't say with words, I used my best "YOU DISGUST ME full of anger" face.


So our little ticket cost us a lot of time, a train to Prague, a moment of highly dangerous blood pressure, and a good hard laugh.

My name is Madeline Duffy and I'm here to tell you that J walking tickets exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment