Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Something POSITIVE, please?!

I know, I know. I've been far form giddy in the last few posts. From my J-walking ticket, to getting my money stolen, and the hard time I've having with my Mr. Baker's illness.. do I have ANY time to rejoice?

ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY!

Not to overwhelm you with post after post, but we've had an incredible time in Poland. The last few days we stayed at our friend Mark's house. He lives in a very small village between Warsaw and Berlin, so we didn't have the opportunity to use the internet very often.

From the instant Mark met us in Poland he has done EVERYTHING for us. He has refused to let us pay for things, CARRY MY 80 lb. child (my pack), give us tours/advice/information, treat us to Polish meals, and take us to unique Polish towns. Plus, he's just an amazing guy with a huge heart and a really contagious zest for life.

My heart melted over and over while we were with his family. I was so incredibly humbled by their kindness, a mjaority of the time Erik and I were rendered speechless. Here are a couple exmaples-

We met Mark's parents in Krakow. This was when we thought we were leaving Krakow that same day. Mark's parents drove THREE hours just to meet US, becuase we were important to Mark. They took us to castles, and told us all about Poland's history. While in the old royal palace, Mark was describing that the wars had destroyed many of their famous buildings. I said 'Ask your dad about this palace. How much of this is original!'. He said, I could ask him, but I don't think he knows. Plus, if he does, he'd never say. That would be a serious shame for him to tell you.

That absolutely MELTED MY HEART. As if we would think less of Poland because certain parts of it were bombed.

As if this wasn't the sweetest thing on the planet, they took us out for lunch. Mark's parents own a grocery store in their town and are very smart with their money. Mark said that his mom always brings thermoses of tea and coffee so they don't have to spend their money foolishly on over priced drinks. When we were out to eat, they not only encouraged us to get tea or coffee, but they did themselves.

They also didn't speak any English. Mark was doing all of the translating. By the end of the conversation, I hardly noticed that we didn't speak a lick of Polish, or them an ounce of English. When Erik and I thanked them for the wonderful meal... they said, thank you for sharing your time with us.

SERIOUSLY?! They exuded kindness out of every pore of their body!!!! And it was genuine.

So, as Cindy Loo would say, 'her heart grew three sizes that day'. So when I thought that we were leaving for Prague I was filled with joy. What an incredible family Mark has.

Then we missed our train. They took us in at their home- fed us EVERY meal, talked to us, asked questions, CLEANED for us... they invited us to have a traditional Polish lunch at Mark's brother's house.

They prepared a MASSIVE feast for us. They brought out all of their nicest alcohols for us to try (V.I.P. guests only).. for ERIK AND I!!! I'm serious, I felt like everyone around me but me knew I won the lottery or something!!

THEN- GET THIS- THEY GAVE ERIK A BOTTLE OF THEIR HOMEMADE LIQUOR.. AGED A YEAR AND A HALF (!!!!!!!!!)... just because "A friend of Mark's is family of ours".



Missing the train to Prague was the best thing that could've happened to us. Mark and his family were unbelievable. With nothing to gain, they opened their hearts, their lives, and their home to us..

Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. They did gain something very big... the pleasure of Erik and your company which needs no words. You sparkle and light up the world around you.
    Aunt Sarah

    ReplyDelete