Erik better sleep with his eyes open.
I love black licorice as much as getting the wind knocked out of me. The taste pierces my tongue, and gives my gag reflex the truest run for it's money since Taco John's my freshman year of college. I know that I mentioned before that when we're being hosted, it's REALLY important to me to be kind. I strongly believe that when learning about someone else's life, they were nice enough to invite you in. And if you accept, you better accept it whole heartedly.
So, I did just that. Isabel was absolutey BEAMING when telling me about a candy that Finns love. She said that when she visited Finland, this made her fall in love with sweets in a whole new way. My eyes matched hers, and tears of joy welled up as I was anticipating the treasure trove of goodness. Chocolates and caramels?!.. Truffles, and brownies and pecan pies.
'Oh, and what are those candies? Tell me about them!' Even the smallest explanation would help dam the saliva creeping into my mouth.
'Well, I have some, and I want you guys to try it!!'
She pulled a small box out of her purse. She handed Erik and I a tiny piece of black candy. Erik was nearest, so he recieved his first. He quickly popped the candy into his mouth, and as hindsight has it, a (now bewitching) smile appeared on his face.
"MMMM! Try it Mad"
Not that he had to ask, my arm at rest to mouth speed is faster than most Audis. OHHH, I wish I would've slowed down just ONE microscopic millisecond to look closer at that smile.
............black licorice.
Isabel chimes in, "So what do you think? Don't you just love them? They're straight from Finland?"
I'm smiling, not at her. At Erik. You're so dead, buster. Plus, I can't spit this out, it's from Finland, how incredibly kind!!
"It's delicious" Hard swallow. "I absolutely love it"
Isabel jumped up. "Really?" She grabbed my forearm and brought me into the kitchen. Before I knew what was happening, a pointer finger's worth of frosting was ready for digestion. "They have black licorice flavored frosting, I had to buy some!!"
... I swiveled toward Erik. "Erik! Come have some, I want you to try it too!" And like clockwork, "No, no. I know saw how much you liked it. You eat it". As the smile appeared on his face a second time, along with a lower lip bite to hide in laughter, I now saw everything that I was too excited to notice only moments earlier.
I haven't figured out how I'll get Erik back yet, but believe me, you'll know when I do. More importantly however, is the kindness of strangers. I cannot express enough how that just warms my heart, and puts me to sleep at night. Here, a near perfect stranger, sharing EVERYTHING, even her FAVORITE candy from Finland.
Water cleared the remaining taste, and sent my esophagus back into its normal position. But the sincere gesture of kindness reminded me just how sweet a place this world is... which is a dose of something I'd happily swallow.
HAHAHAHAH!!!! oh my god, i'm just catching up on your blog, which i havent been able to read for the past ENTIRE week because life has been... ummm... crazy. and i've been literally waiting for a time when i could treat myself to a hearty helping of Madeline. and this post quite possibly made my ENTIRE year. it will keep me smiling all day.
ReplyDeleteI, on the other hand LOVE black licorice, so you could probably bring some home for me.
LOVE YOU