Monday, January 25, 2010

Erik has compared our days here similar to that of a baby. Everything is new. Every single face, every single hostel, every laugh, every monument, every street... from the morning we awake to the moment we go to sleep, we are faced with newness. And newness when it's not being moderated can be down right exhausting (in a very good way).

While I mostly agree with being a gigantic 23 year old baby (the only explanation for the way I miss my mom and dad), we've really no other choice than to welcome all this newness with a huge embrace. Which is what helps me justify my new obsession.



My toothbrush.



I have had the fortune of having my wonderful Uncle Rick as my dentist my entire life. He's seen my baby teeth, my cavities, and given me more toys from the Treasure Chest than most kids get from Santa. Since a mere tot I've known the ABC's and How to's about brushing. I've been privy to all the latest and greatest technology, including and not limited to my coveted ELECTRONIC toothbrush!! Proper hygiene has been infused to my very core.

And now I can say I have NAILED it. I have to hope he's glowing with pride at my brushing habits, because I think I've reached near perfection. I'm talking... get a camera over here, because this could be used for educational viewings.


See the thing is, when NOTHING in your life stays the same, it's a frantic race to find the one thing that does. No matter what it is, this constant becomes a 'home'. Safe Zone!! When all else fails, I will find that brush. There have been times near mania was reached when we arrived in a city very late, and we had to be quiet in the dark with our things.

... ppstt! ERIK! I can't find my toothbrush!


... No, really! I HAVE to find it.. (I'm rustling through my things like I've trapped a raccoon in my pack.)

...Minutes later I emerge victorious. Mat my rustled hair, breath a sigh of relief! And grin so wide, it can be seen in the darkest of darks.



(For the record, we're beyond this stage now. My toothbrush is in the nearest and easiest to open pocket)





When the world spins madly, that is OKAY. Why? Because *I* WILL brush and floss this morning, GUARANTEED, and if as if life doesn't get any more stable.. I WILL do the SAME routine all over again this evening. Count on it. Plan on it... shall we call it a routine?!

My teeth have never seen so much maticulious care. Every tooth has its own personal appointment with my brush for what seems like ages. When the brush goes down and back into the toiletry bag, the rug slips from under me and I face the vertigo of travel until the early morning hours when I awake to engage in my daily constant.


Now, now, I know some people might find this a bit odd... I too stand on the .. 'huh'.. side of things. But I do think it's great. My tooth brush and toothpaste have provided me enough stability to be the only main constant in a world full of change... I'll brush to that!!

2 comments:

  1. Too funny!! I have to say there is another constant that can only be hoped for, not planned for when traveling... going number 2. Once you have a "regular" routine going for that you're good to "go" anywhere.
    Love you,
    Aunt Sarah

    ReplyDelete