Friday, January 1, 2010

HAPPY NEW YEARS!

Woohooo, Koln!

Erik and I were so amped for New Years. From what we'd read it was going to be quite the evening, and we were ready for whatever the evening brought our way. First, I need to say that it is incredibly hard to feel New Years glamorous (!) on a back packers wardrobe... hmm, Jeans, jeans, jeans and t-shirt? FABULOUS.
Alright, so I got over that I would be no Audrey Hepburn this New Years, and just went with it. We have a bar and restaurant attached to our hotel, so we started the night kind of relaxing.

The bar is really big, with high ceilings, dark walls, and big black leather sofas. We situated ourselves on a sofa, got out some games, and drank some bubbly. Life is good!!! 10:45 rolled around, and we figured if we didn't bundle up and go out then, we might never get the gusto to do so.

Finding where we needed to be didn't take long. We just watched the huge mass of college students parade down the streets (temporarily closed down) arm in arm, singing as loud as possible. We instantly fell into the masses, and floated with this giant mass of people all the way to the largest bridge in Koln, on the Reine river. We were both 'enjoying ourselves', and were in great spirits from the champange and good company.

WWWWHIZ. HOLY WHAT!? A fire work grazed past my pants. Literally, grazed, there was a hot ash mark across my jeans from this firework. I turned around ready to unleash havoc onto the individual who was so careless to light fireworks off in the street like that.

As my claws came out, I wiped around and saw another, and another, and another. In hindsight, this situation wasn't as safe as it probably could be... but it was a ton of fun. I quickly forgot my anger, as Erik and I dodged through the mine field. People were lighting fireworks off EVERYWHERE. They were literally feet from each other, holding bottle rockets in one hand, a cigarette in their mouth, and a big German beer in the other. Einz, stienz, NEW YEAR. BOOM!!!!!!!! Fire work nearly explodes out of their hand.

Erik and I are both laughing, neither of us could really believe this. In the states they have such tight regulations (and justly so) on fireworks, that this seemed like New Years Eve on apost football game riot.I would love to know the person that thought, lets give all these belligerent people fire works, and tell them, " Have fun, and remember, light them off using your hands!" The whole city embraced this accident waiting to happen. Paramedics and fireman/woman sat patiently on the side, just waiting. Yup, someone will surely burn their face or light their hand on fire.. and until that happens, we'll wait.

Anyway, despite the chaos, the cities' fireworks were unbelievable. It felt like we were in a fairy tale. There was a slight snow, the kind with the big flakes that land on your nose and take a while to melt. When it was finally midnight EVERYONE erupted and started jumping up and down on this bridge.A huge sea of people, little to no space in between each other, jumping up and down simultaneously. When we relaxed and just enjoyed it was amazing to see fireworks everywhere. They literally blanketed the sky, as well as our immediate space. People were popping champagne bottles, doing celebratory cheers, and passing out beers, all while giving each other big familial bear hugs.

As we walked back to the hotel we couldn't believe what a great time we just had. Here's to 2010!

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely relate to the fireworks... it was like a war zone here in Cusco!!! Kids shooting them at the Cathedral... us running through with our heads covered... America really needs to get with the program!

    ReplyDelete