Thursday, January 14, 2010

Must love dogs

It's odd the things you miss. There are certain things that I could predict. I'd miss my friends and family terribly. Yup, turned out to be true. I'd miss my blankets terribly. Yup, turned out to be true.

No one told me that I'd miss peanut butter, bananas, or dogs this badly. That I did not predict.

I find myself missing my dogs (Jess and Tux)nearly all the time. I'm even looking for them in the faces of all other dogs. I'd give a clean pair of socks to feel my dog's soft ears, or see their tails when I arrive home.

They say distance makes the heart grow fonder. How true. Without even knowing, I started constructing my efforts. I'd stop and look at cute dogs, silly dogs, wild dogs.. and take their pictures... and I'd talk to them.

I know! Talk to dogs?! The only people who are doubting this statement are people who've never owned a dog. Everyone else.... well, I know you too whisper sweet nothings to your dog. Or reprimand it using a run on sentence.

So it turns out I've found comfort in the form of stranger's dogs. "Send a message to Jess! I'll be home before she knows it"

It turns out I'm not the only one who thinks of my pet as a family member.








2 comments:

  1. too funny! lots of cute dogs over there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. madeline-
    you truely are an amazing writer, i feel as though i am on these adventures with you when i read your blog. the more i read it the more i think about starting my own .... of course it wouldn't be as interesting as yours, but i think it would be fun. anyway getting back to what i wanted to say.... before getting ginger i wouldn't have ever thought that it would be hard to go away for a week, or in your case 6 months. now i think that i too would be missing her curly afro and dog breath...shes a part of everything i do now:) i hope all is well, and im sorry about you money loss- it's sad that someone you befriended would do such a thing.... im sending positive vibes your way.
    xoxo-della

    ReplyDelete