The past few days Erik and I have been in Hamburg. Our host, Isabel, was an absolute delight. She was a cheerful German, with bright green eyes, a quick smile, and an easy to please attitude. She was talkative, and friendly, with honesty to match. When she spoke, her mouth curved exceptionally, so it was as if everything she was saying contained her entire days emotion.
The first evening, the three of us ate dinner together, and shared a warm cup of German tea. The night was going well. She was telling us all about her adventures, while we enjoyed hearing stories from a different land. She let us know that she’s been many places, South America, Australia, and the United States, to name a few.
And, as it goes, when someone has been to one place in the United States, no matter where that place may be, untold to all citizens of the U.S., this individual now has supreme knowledge of all on goings and ways of life of the nation. I listened intently, smiling and nodding slightly to let her know I was following along, hearing all about her “American experience”.
I am typically quite tolerable towards gripes with America. I knew that by strapping on my pack and leaving any material desire I had back in my bedroom of my parents home, I agreed to encountering people that did not appreciate the way a lot of Americans live their lives. (I feel that many people need a large news flash.. within the states people don't agree with each other on best practices to an ideal life) Anyway, back to gripes. Almost everyone has them as of late, and because it’s now trendy to have a beef with the United State’s way of doing everything, she spoke of her laundry list as though it hadn’t crossed her mind that we lived there- even though this was discussed moments prior.
A few worth mentioning:
A) American schools are ridiculous. They make you stay there all day.. to what?! Take MULTIPLE choice tests! Yes, that's how Americans test. Our schools here are MUCH harder than that, we aren't reduced to learning how to fill in bubbles. We learn, and are tested accordingly.
B)Most of your buildings, especially your churches? HA. They're a joke. I can't IMAGINE having carpet in our churches in Europe. That is most unheard of. It's not like we can blame you. You're country is so new, no one is to blame for the fact that *THERE IS NO CULTURE*
C)Americans are elitist. They only care about themselves. How is the rest of the world suppose to look to them as an example, when the only country that they care about is themselves. (Referencing a talk we were having about Copenhagen).
D)Oh, and now you're turning Germans fat. All your grocery stores, and fast food. They're coming here, and making all of us fat. Look around.. we call it Americanization.
and a conversational clip
I: So, I brought my best friend Becky (from Minn) to the north sea with my parents. She just kind of hung out with us for the day. I hoped she didn't mind my parents were naked.
I: Have you ever seen your parents naked?
M:Well, no. We don't have nude beaches in Wisconsin.
I: I'm not just talking about nude beaches. I mean, I don't look, but I know what my dad looks like naked. Hasn't he been naked around you in the house before? Or is that frowned upon.
M:No, we tend not to hang out naked. I don't really see when the opportunity would arise....
A response?
Letter C:(!)
I guess our stupidity caused from bubble tests inhibited our understanding of nutrition, thus every American ate a big mac for 2 meals a day. Because we are carpet and new construction loving elitists, we can't stand any nation with buildings older than 300 years. This caused us to become incredibly introverted, and care about no one but ourselves. We stopped walking around our houses naked as a family, and soon lost our culture as well as the ability to see our feet.
Hahahah! Okay, okay, I kid! But I had a lot of fun hearing those things, and have had a GREAT laugh over and over (and over) thinking about them. I of course, corrected the things that weren't true (as politely as I could), and cringed at the fact that some points could hold some water.
madeline... what are you talking about?!? we all hang out naked at my house.
ReplyDelete....JUST KIDDING!.... that is too funny that she finds it odd to wear clothes around each other,haha it made me laugh:) (but also made very disturbing pictures come to mind....gross!!!!!!!)