There were so many choices of where to go yesterday I had a hard time deciding. Erik had decided that he wasn't feeling up for the excursion and I couldn't blame him, that was the exact same way I felt the day before. I still decided to brave it, and I am really happy I did.
Antibes has been an inspiration for countless painters. They have a museum dedicated specifically to this city and all the spawns of its creation. Namely, people are crazy over the Picasso's and the Monet's, and with good reason. The city is a Monet. It is situated directly between Nice and Cannes and is the smaller of the three. The old city is built around a beautiful old port and the rest of the small, walled city is almost entirely preserved.
I arrived late in the afternoon and was overtaken by Antibes' brightness. I didn't bring my sunglasses because it wasn't sunny. It was just exceptionally bright. I got off at the bus stop most people got off at because I wasn't sure that the bus was even headed to a station. There I was, in the middle of Antibes, no map, no where to go, and I was EXCITED. I didn't have a thing planned or a single expectation, and around every corner, Antibes delivered.
Normally there are hundreds of things I make Erik sit through.Not because I wish to inflict silent torture, but a certain amount of our trip is compromise. I sit through elaborate decision making and grocery stores,while his internal cringing include soaps, door knockers, and ornate wood/iron working.
Antibes was an absolute explosion of door knockers. The first one I saw, I thought 'This is it! This will be my Antibes door,' and snapped away. I literally walked to the next door and saw a different door knocker I liked better. This continued to happen for a majority of the day. I was in door knocker heaven! The only time I was aware of how odd I probably looked was when a French man walked by me with a face of pure curiosity. I should have worn a clown suit and hid near people's doors for the way he was staring!
I was also able to indulge in all the tantalizing little kid stuff. Normally I do my best to get enough of a glance in, but with Moll's new babe nearly in ear shot, it dominates a good portion of my thoughts. As does Miles. I have an idea that might make me aunt of the year if I can pull it off (that's here nor there, and I can't keep a secret, so I won't continue). The little hand made toys, shoes, and carts were enough to make me wish they were here so badly I had a hard time stomaching it.
Finally, the pier! A good portion of it was on V.I.P. lock down but it was an amazing show of excess money. People who had yachts so large they needed a separate boat on the yacht. They needed a little go cart to take them to and from the yacht in the marina. The quintessence of the French Riviera. Polos, sun glasses, and sweaters on the shoulder, as they blew by me in their gocarts, I was atleast happy that 'Jersey' was able to represent for us.
What would Antibes be without a succession of over priced indie artsy shops?! I indulged myself to no end. I imagined myself in every dress, with every bag, and shawl, and necklace. This was my favorite purse that I had a hard time pulling myself away from.
I was able to buy my weekly postcards, which I look forward to constantly. I am always scouring the post card racks. I was absolutely swept away by Antibes' choices- of course. The ones I bought are easily my favorite of the trip.
So although Antibes is same people, different party.. it was atleast a theme I dug! I absolutely loved it, was sucked in by everything it had to offer, and would recommend it to anyone.
I very much enjoyed your thoughts on Antibes. I agree .... it's Paradise. I was the 'Artist in Residence' for three months last year in beautiful Villa Fontaine overlooking the Mediterranean ... and also for three weeks in 2008. Check out my blog - June, July and August 2009 to see even a bit more of Antibes ... Jazz a Juan, the Opera at Eilenroc ... the villa. The only thing about your trip will be the difficulty in returning to 'Jersey'.
ReplyDeleteKeep writing ...