Monday, April 12, 2010

Cretan Adventure

Part 2: The Secret Garden



We push through a very old door. Follow Ulie through a goat's den. Many animals have since inhabited the houses, making for some interesting encounters when you aren't expecting it. We turned a few sharp corners, and then it was as if we were in Alice and Wonderland. Two artists owned this home back in the 1950's, they moved out, but apparently only a few things. Ulie said it has been abandoned for a good while. There was mosaic EVERYWHERE. All of the doors were beautiful shades of blue, all with a destressed look. They'd left artistic bottle shapes, tables, lawn ornaments, and the list goes on and on. This was the garden to beat all gardens. There were over grown lilacs, beautiful plants, and flowers spilling out every window and stair case. Many of the stairs were cement leading to a large blue door, upon opening it you might find a room with a huge window and no floor, or lines and lines of wine bottles. These doors? REAL WOOD. And the colors? Every different shade of blue. WANT, WANT, WANTED them. That and the ivy spilling over their sides like a something from a story book. Oh, and besides the fact that they left hundreds of tiles of their design scattered among the inside of the house, there was homemade pottery all over the yard. I'd step on something a bit hard, bend down and pick up a perfect ceramic bowl in a golden brown glaze.











The reason I don't have more pictures is......because Uli asked he could start taking pictures of Erik and I! We were both okay with it (OF COURSE) and trying to hold back our excitement. He said he'll make a c.d. of the photos, so as soon as I get those, you know I'll share!!


I need a rent a friend. Guys don't appreciate the color differences between the bowls, the little flowers and ivy lining the stair cases, the uniqueness of a homemade wind chime, or the different shades of blue with perfect chips, perfectly placed on each door.

Have you ever liked an article of clothing so much that you'd wear it every day? It's kinda fun, trying to make it look different. The shawl I'm wearing in this picture, I LOVE. Lindsay, Erik's sister gave it to me and I never take it off. I'm sure it smells, but it's an extension of me now. Is it warm? Great the shawl is short sleeved. It's cold? A nice little layer, let me grab my shawl! Ulie told me to take it off for a few pictures and I felt truly conflicted.You can't mean that!



On the drive home Ulie asked, "Did you guys enjoy today?"
In unison Erik and I, "YES!"
Ulie responded... "Well great, tomorrow we're going to some caves with 20 ft. high waterfalls. We'll also be stopping by Shanaria beach. They have rock bars under the water for snorkeling and scuba diving. Some of the best in Crete. Would you like to come??"

(.... Would we?! Is the SKY BLUE!?!?!)

"Yes, that would be wonderful. Thank you!"... no sleep tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Hurry up, go see, and report quickly! We are waiting!!!!! SMac

    ReplyDelete