Thursday, April 1, 2010

To whom it may concern

This is going to sound sick. I already know.. it sounds sick to me just thinking about it. But, here it is anyway. Erik and I went for a walk around dusk a few days ago. It was an adventure to find a market of some kind for things for dinner. They say that olfactory memories are the strongest and most distinct of all memories. I am in 110% agreement with this statement because when I smelt cow poop I felt a feeling of homesickness I have NEVER EVER felt before on this trip.

It's hilarious.... and too true. Cow poop. Cow poop. I was purposely smelling COW POOP.





To the owner of this animal:


Home is a long way away in distance and time,
So clearly you've committed the ultimate crime,

You've stolen our mascot, so tried and so true,
You transported her here, I heard the 'moo!',

Long before her firmilar cry,
A smell hit my nose and I thought I would die,

Not of sadness, or health, but of the purest bliss,
The poo from your cow.. the memories I miss,

Her smell takes me back, away from here,
To cheese curds and Packers, my heart breaks I doth fear,

The smell so unique, and glorious to home,
From Kaukana to Green Bay, is where the herds roam,

You can imagine my thought as I stopped in my tracks,
My memories compounding, it's taking me back,

I had no idea I was alone from the start,
Until the smell of your Bessie had stolen my heart,

What a predicament your fine animal has put me in,
Hanging my memories like a sheet in the wind,

How can I drag myself away from her bin?
There is but one answer to make this a win,

I will track down her scent and bottle it up,
A jar full of memories in this treasured cup,

In the mean time, I haven't a choice but to take a new route,
Praying that the winds will spare my snout.

1 comment: