Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Suitcase of Memories..

We hadn't intended upon walking the most drastic, scenic mountain of our lives. I suppose our slip of directions did say 'scenic 2 hour walk', but most of time that entails a couple of heights and a boulder or two. I hadn't intended on finding a junk graveyard of memories and Erik hadn't intended on going up a boulder that made me wind up like a snare drum. Well maybe he had, who knows.

The day started off like any other. We picked from hundreds of hikes. As Chris, the owner,(Mr. Shakespeare) told us, 'Plakias IS walking country.' Of course not for the weak of mind, body, or spirit. It's easy to get lost, it's a long way down, and there is typically in adventure around every corner.

We'd opted for One Rock. It's a private beach that he says is Secluded in even the busiest months, so of course, we had to check it out. It felt all Giligan's Islandish or Blue Lagoon, ya know?!

The first walk was gorgeous enough in itself. We walked through a series of fields and pastures, some olive groves, and farmside. Their farms aren't really like ours and are strewn among story like clouds and jagged mountains. It felt as though we kind of stumbled upon the coast. All of the sudden,a step out of a an olive grove and Boom, 1 mile of coast. Might I add some of the prettiest coast I've seen in my life (trumping Dubrovnik, Croatia!).




We get to the beaches and they are Grecian. Nudey, nudey, nudey. I love it! Although some people are wearing suits which I think creates an awkward situation for all parties involved, everyone looked like they were doing their thing. This weather is unseasonably warm - interjection- FINALLY, FINALLY, the pendulum swings in the OTHER direction for us!!!- so people are swimming and splashing in the waves. After THREE beaches we came across the smallest little alcove that jutted deeply into the rock. There was one large rock out in the water. ONE ROCK. He was right! It was deserted!! It IS the Blue Lagoon!!




We stayed there for a good few hours. We packed some snacks and books, read, did generally really relaxing things. Swimming was both exhilirating and terrifying all at once. Those words seem oddly close to each other in alot of ways. This probably explains why I couldn't decide to breathe or laugh. The waves were HUGE. The rock walls that surrounded the alcove created alot of friction and when the waves finally broke they stood about 5 feet tall with an uncomfortably strong undercurrent.

Our way home is where we stumbled upon a walk that I hope I never forget. We took what started as a tiny path overlooking a port. The upward hike took the path around the hill and snaked between two large boulders. Just outside of the boulders... a junk heaven!!! I love goodwill, garbage picking, great finds, used everything, and other people's treasures. I love antiques too. I search them out everywhere. Which is why when I saw a BEAUTIFUL LEATHER SUITCASE with large brass buckles I all but heaved myself into the garbage pile. I love suitcases. When I get home I'll show you my vintage suitcase (a suitase of memories) but in the mean time know I'm like a fat kid to cake about them. The suitcase was in PERFECT condition, the buckles fastened, the inside a dark burgundy, and the outside real leather. In another world, THAT would be my around the world luggage, I just know it.

(And no dissin on the croc's! The hostel supplies them for hiking!)



Erik of course wanted nothing to do with the garbage. This didn't bother me in the slightest, and I continued my hunt for tetanus and staph. KIDDING. But really, I wasn't bothered, and on the whole quite fascinated. Mattresses, beautiful couches, chairs, and shelves (real wood) EVERYWHERE. WHAT?! I should have got a call before this happened!! So I plummeted into the mattresses. Erik was looking bewildered and disgusted. I couldn't of cared less- he carried that Ram's head from a few posts back around with him ALL DAY... dirty, dirty ram juice! So I dig in some garbage, big deal!

I paid it no mind, and.. well.. did what any self respecting adult would do. I bounced on those mattresses. OF COURSE!!!It was clearly my only option. BOING. I felt just like a kid sans repercussions!! BOING.




The walk was two hours so the garbage eventually turned into caves, rocks, wild flowers, and goats. Erik was being his normal very daring self and scaling walls, rocks, and other protrusions. I've learned to make no attempt to stop it, it's entirely pointless. We both really enjoyed the walk- he as Indiana Jones, myself as a garbage collector. I didn't want it to end! We came across one very large and sharp corner and after turning, all of Plakias was exposed. The sight of the water and sky made us both stop in our tracks.









As we walked down from the ledge I was reminiscing about the junkyard fun and started to sing. Instead of Erik's ears bleeding and a cringe emerging from his mouth, he decided to join in.

I bellowed in my horrendous voice:
"Lying in my bed I hear the clock tick and think of you"

And here it goes(!!!) Erik who NEVER EVER EVER joins me:
"Caught up in circles, confusion is nothing new. Flash back, warm nights"

and me:
"Almost left behindd..... A SUITCASE OF MEMORIES..... TIME AFTER TIME."



Thank you Cindy Lauper, Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. pretty sure this is my most favorite-est post EVER. You guys look like you cannot be enjoying yourselves more!

    I can only hope that the "break-out in song" over the suitcase was slightly inspired by kory's constant renditions of situation-appropriate songs.

    MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty sure this is my most favorite-est post EVER. You guys look like you cannot be enjoying yourselves more!

    I can only hope that the "break-out in song" over the suitcase was slightly inspired by kory's constant renditions of situation-appropriate songs in Italia.

    MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. not sure how that got posted twice! sorry!

    ReplyDelete