Saturday, April 10, 2010

Cretan Adventures

Part 1: Wild Flowers with the Most Interesting Man of the Year

Sorry for all you flower haters, but here it goes. Yesterday I was eating some breakfast. I saw a man with a camera that (lens and all) stood the whole length of my torso. He was comparing wildflower photos with a woman across the room. Photos like I've never seen. National Geo Flower Man of the year here. ... okay, so I tried my best to keep cool, but in short I probably spoke way too fast and said 'wow' too many times. What a lame word. "Yea, *I* like to shoot wildflowers too! With my point and shoot!!" .... Really, Madeline, really?! ... Well, that wasn't enough to scare him off. He was German, and because all Germans are incredibly interesting and fun to be around, we struck up a conversation. Flowers, Berlin, Flowers, Crete, Flowers..

Oulie: "We are going and looking for wildflowers today. Cretan Tulips and Orchids."
Me: (My not so inconspicuous poker face) "Really....? I bet you'll get some amazing shots." My eyes were probably more circular than a kittens.
Oulie: "Yes, Ludwig and I are going by car. Would you care to come?"
Me: Breathe, be cool. "Yea, sure..sure, I mean, Yes. I'd love to come."

So that's how it began. Myself, Erik, Oulie, and Ludwig out to see the world of tulips and orchids. COULD I GET ANY HAPPIER?! Thank goodness there were no girls. I might have done that jumpy noisey thing I just hate.
















After hours of hunting the countryside we decided to stop for lunch. Fresh squeezed orange juice, greek salad, fired cucumbers and eggplant, feta, and the list goes on.
On our way back Oulie asked if we wanted to stop just one more place. It wasn't for flowers but it was just as interesting. Of course we did!

It was a deserted mountain top village. I WAS SO EXCITED. It was this perfect combination of eerie and intriguing, just enough to make me want to explore on my own while keeping everyone's voice in ear shot. All of the buildings had been deserted due to the excessive amount of moisture that portion of the mountain gets. Hundred year old buildings, wild orange trees.... so he says, "Follow me." .... and we'll leave that for tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment